Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Inside our greenhouse today

The greenhouse is only 5x4ft so very small but fits into a space.

Taken with my Nikon D300 and a Nikon 12x24mm lens, both of which would only fetch about £400 for them both together ,and strictly now an consumer/amatures camera and lens

One can still get some resonable photos considering the very limited space and equipment.

Inside mainly plant pots and a couple of plants to be put outside later in the year
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 09:42 PM

Re: Inside our greenhouse today

It will soon be time to get some more plants on the go in there.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Mart I would lke to grow tomatoes again in there like this

but we may well be on holiday when they need attention and watering.

even with some of these same problem

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2020, 09:56 PM

That all looks very productive.

I keep threatening to buy a polytunnel for growing tomatoes in but it hasn't got any further than that yet.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-03-2020, 10:16 PM

Initially Sue "er indoors" wanted a cheap plastic covered type of greenhouse but I said no that could rip and then say godbye to the plants inside.
Had a bit of a problem finding a "proper" glass greenhouse to fit the space but even Sue now agrees that was the better option. No way was the grape vine being cut down which Sue wanted to do.

This one was self assembly and not over expensive , forgotten how much, butg 4/5 year on still as good as when erected. Don't think you would get that wear from a polytunnel

the photos below took 3/4 months from start of order to finished project
found the paperwork on it

bought from The Greenhouse people in stoke on trent way back in Feb 2015

cost was £510 including delivery and toughened glass.
Loads of instructions/diagrams came with it

5ft wide and 4ft from front to back. Inside p;lastic racking fitted perfectly

I could have just stood it on earth on its own metal plinth . However that meant you are working inside standing on mud. So I used the heavy paving slabs to stand it on . levelling them all up took a bit of time but worth it.

I had to cut in half a couple of slabs to get right size as seen across the centre but I have a powerful stone disc cutter so no problem

The hardest bit was preparing the site to get rid of this and all the rubble underneath.

Link to this one,

https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/g...standard-2019/

To me a polutunnel looks what it is ,cheap and horrible , imagine having to look at that day in day out .

found photo of sub base for slabs

bags of rubble remove Approx 50 like these

from this
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 03:56 AM

Many decades ago my old man was really peeved when he found tomato plants growing out of my compost and producing fruit in the open. He had three massive greenhouses he built at his house in Folkestone just for the purpose of growing tomatoes.

How many tomatoes could you buy for £500 at a growers market.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:04 AM

There is something so special about growing your own veggies....wish I had space to do it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-03-2020, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Many decades ago my old man was really peeved when he found tomato plants growing out of my compost and producing fruit in the open. He had three massive greenhouses he built at his house in Folkestone just for the purpose of growing tomatoes.

How many tomatoes could you buy for £500 at a growers market.
I used to think that too but then I started helping friends out with looking after their allotment. They have a polytunnel for growing tomatoes in. That's probably about the same in properties as a greenhouse.

The baby tomatoes that come out of that are much better than any I've tasted from anywhere else, so there is that aspect to growing your own.

Also, there is the satisfaction and pleasure you get from growing your own produce from seed. It could be viewed as a hobby or pastime like any other that people spend money on.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 09:29 AM

Nice size greenhouse RS!
Mines 6x4 with the door in the narrow bit, it's quite narrow between shelves so you have to be careful manoeuvring.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

12-03-2020, 11:08 AM

Tessa
I would have got a bigger greenhouse but space was limited . Had a bit of a job at first to see if I could even fit one in. They say measure twice to be sure, well I did that several times and even got some spare timber and laid it out to that size to check. It was close but as you see just managed it

Seeing as how Sue was not in favour initially of a glass greenhouse, funny if she is outside dhe can often be fouind in it. I did mantion some time ago behind needed tidying up , so bought and cut some red slabs and also found a plastic storage container for the extra pots. Again fitted into the area spot on

looks a bit better now needs a bit of a clean me thinks. Handy having the water butt where it is you can't beat rainwater for the plants

Well at least the grenhouse gives the spiders somewhere to hang out

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top