Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Re: Are you a stickler..

An old friend of mine (who is now a headteacher) tends to use a spoon to eat everything.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Do you remember when it was polite to keep the little pinky finger up while holding fork/spoon with food on it.

Definitely not!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Oh yes Realspeed we always had to ask to be excused from the table too! Not talking with your mouth full was another (more common sense that one!)

I think the soup bowl tilting thing was to prevent a hot thing spilling on to oneself but why does the spoon have to go from front to back too?!!!

As for lifted pinkies, I have never done that whilst eating but there's something about a dainty, china tea cup that just screams out for a raised pinkie!!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
..for table manners?
My mother was so I think it rubbed off on me.

I don't like it when I dine with others, if someone starts a course before everyone else's has arrived.
I even eat my soup in the proper manner, even when I'm alone!!!

And as for burping or belching (some pass that off as a "compliment to the chef") ewwwwww disgusting!
Oh yes, I definately agree with you for all of the above. Also the correct etiquette for passing the port without any deviations. There are not any bad manners allowed in my household without any exceptions whatsoever.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:44 PM

Oh yes Realspeed we always had to ask to be excused from the table too! Not talking with your mouth full was another (more common sense that one!)

I think the soup bowl tilting thing was to prevent a hot thing spilling on to oneself but why does the spoon have to go from front to back too?!!!

As for lifted pinkies, I have never done that whilst eating but there's something about a dainty, china tea cup that just screams out for a raised pinkie!!
This is because any solids are always pushed into or towards the liquid and therefore leaving very little waste in the empty bowl.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:54 PM

Elbows on the table while eating with a fork only . Disgusting !
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
An old friend of mine (who is now a headteacher) tends to use a spoon to eat everything.
Does it attract the ladles?..... I mean ladies?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:10 PM

Is there a chopstick etiquette? I tend to try to trap everything between the two prongs and then carry it like that carefully in to my mouth but the Chinese people actually take the bowl near their mouths and use the two sticks like a paddle to flick the food in

I'd fear I'd miss my mouth doing that and end up throwing rice or noodles or veg everywhere!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Is there a chopstick etiquette? I tend to try to trap everything between the two prongs and then carry it lije that carefully in to my mouth but the Chinese people actually take the bowl near their mouths and use the two sticks like a paddle to flick the food in

I'd fear I'd miss my mouth doing that and end up throwing rice or noodles or veg everywhere!
There is a chop stick etiquette. A Chinese person told me years ago that the two chopsticks are not exactly the same, one is the static one and the other the one that you move. I cannot remember which is which though.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:12 PM

Of course there used to be a fabuilous alternative to eating at the table.
That was eating fish and chips out of newspapers. Salt and vinegar added as a help yourself to how much extra.

Now that is class and two fingers to manners, licking fingers was half the pleasure

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top