Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:15 PM

Re: Are you a stickler..

Also, if you leave your chop sticks sticking up in a bowl of rice, it can be seen as a bad omen or death.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:16 PM

There is a difference between Japanese and Chinese chopsicks.. Japanese ones have a flat screwdriver type end and the Chinese ones have a five sided end. Bet you didn't know that
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Of course there used to be a fabuilous alternative to eating at the table.
That was eating fish and chips out of newspapers. Salt and vinegar added as a help yourself to how much extra.

Now that is class and two fingers to manners, licking fingers was half the pleasure
I see them all queuing outside our local chippy, two metres apart, masks on when they enter the shop only to get their chips wrapped in old newspaper. I wonder how many people have licked their fingers before turning the pages???
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I see them all queuing outside our local chippy, two metres apart, masks on when they enter the shop only to get their chips wrapped in old newspaper. I wonder how many people have licked their fingers before turning the pages???
old newspapers are not allowed now to directly put fish and chips in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-08-2020, 04:21 PM

old newspapers are not allowed now to put fish and chips in.

Perhaps they use our local paper, no one reads it anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-08-2020, 04:24 PM

How they've changed being served over the decades: Pre-1980s – To keep prices down, portions were often wrapped in old newspaper – a practice that survived as late as the 1980s when it was ruled unsafe for food to come into contact with newspaper ink without grease-proof paper in between.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is a chop stick etiquette. A Chinese person told me years ago that the two chopsticks are not exactly the same, one is the static one and the other the one that you move. I cannot remember which is which though.
The top one is the moveable one as far as I'm concerned
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2020, 04:29 PM

My chopsticks' ends are cylindrical JBR!!!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-08-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
The top one is the moveable one as far as I'm concerned
I was told it was seen as bad luck to get them around the wrong way but i can't find anything about it. Maybe they just made it up to worry me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-08-2020, 04:36 PM

How they've changed being served over the decades: Pre-1980s – To keep prices down, portions were often wrapped in old newspaper – a practice that survived as late as the 1980s when it was ruled unsafe for food to come into contact with newspaper ink without grease-proof paper in between.
Not to mention the pages that had been hanging in the carsey.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top