Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 05:24 AM

Re: Are you a stickler..

Reaching the teachers' workroom required walking through the lunchroom.

During lunch one day, I walked by my class of 5th graders and noticed that most of them were eating their ham slices with their fingers . Quite in a hurry, I said hello, but asked them to please use their forks.

On my return, I noticed that my sweet angels had complied - but were then biting off unappetizing hunks from stabbed ham slices held aloft from their forks like floppy umbrellas.

We had an etiquette day soon after that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
There is a chop stick etiquette. A Chinese person told me years ago that the two chopsticks are not exactly the same, one is the static one and the other the one that you move. I cannot remember which is which though.
I use chops sticks a lot and what you say is true. The top chopstick is basically held like a pencil and moved to trap food between it and the bottom chop stick which is stationary.

Personally I also like the Asian way of eating with a spoon and fork, certainly any rice dish I use a spoon and fork (spoon in right hand) I suspect I use a spoon and fork more often than I use a knife and fork.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
There is a difference between Japanese and Chinese chopsicks.. Japanese ones have a flat screwdriver type end and the Chinese ones have a five sided end. Bet you didn't know that
Not true.

The finer the point on a chop stick (within reason) the easier it is to use and Koreans like metal chopsticks for some reason. Plastic (melamine) chop sticks are generally crap and far too thick.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree completely.

Yet I have seen a number of people who regard themselves as well brought up, yet who hold their knives like a pen.
From what I see, it is really very common - in both senses of the word.
I once went for a meal with a group of civil servants to a proper Chinese in Soho. This one guy went on and on and on about all the things he had done and all the Countries he had been (bored the pants off everyone). When the meal arrived he asked if he could have a spoon and a fork instead of chopsticks.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I once went for a meal with a group of civil servants to a proper Chinese in Soho. This one guy went on and on and on about all the things he had done and all the Countries he had been (bored the pants off everyone). When the meal arrived he asked if he could have a spoon and a fork instead of chopsticks.
I have to admit that I'd probably do the same.
How they manage to pick some things up with those chopsticks, I don't know.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top