Join for free
Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 05:50 PM

Re: Brino

The Fixed Term Parliament Act.

The Fixed Term Parliament Act came into play in 2015, when David Cameron went to the people five years after the 2010 election – but wasn’t needed in 2017 when Theresa May called a snap election. That one took place in June.

5 May 2022 would have been date. Next UK general election is scheduled for Thursday, May 2, 2024.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree. Those damned English are definitely not to be trusted. Look how they didn't send us all their Oxford/AZ vaccines, the bastards.
Anagram of agreement, get meaner.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

23-04-2021, 08:42 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...EP-vote-latest

Despite plans to back the deal, their resolution contains a number of scathing criticisms of the future relationship agreement.

They are set to blast “the negative impact on certain fishing communities, while recognising that the provisions on fisheries which establish a 25 percent reduction phased in over five-and-half years represents a less damaging outcome than a complete closure of UK waters”.

And it calls on the Commission to “remind the UK that its continued access to EU markets is directly linked to the access of EU fisheries to UK waters”.

Some MEPs, especially those representing coastal communities, fear that their fishermen will be shut out of Britain’s coastal waters as the transition period expires in June 2026.

“With today’s decision, we welcome the provisions that bind the UK to our current high labour and environmental standards.

“However, all progress could be lost, if the UK continues to unilaterally breach the Withdrawal Agreement and the Protocol on Northern Ireland. We look forward to a workable plan on the implementation of the protocol and to being involved in the implementation and scrutiny of the agreement.”
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2021, 09:46 PM

They are assuming that we are desperate to maintain access to EU markets.

Don't we buy far more from them than we sell to them?

So are we really desperate to buy from them when we can buy, probably more cheaply, from non-EU countries?

If I had my way, we'd kick them into touch. They're going to collapse eventually anyway. Individual 'member states' are already thinking about leaving - even the Frogs!
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
They are assuming that we are desperate to maintain access to EU markets.

Don't we buy far more from them than we sell to them?

So are we really desperate to buy from them when we can buy, probably more cheaply, from non-EU countries?

If I had my way, we'd kick them into touch. They're going to collapse eventually anyway. Individual 'member states' are already thinking about leaving - even the Frogs!
In value we do buy more from them than they buy from us but their exports to us only account for 13% of their total exports whereas our exports to them account for just short of 50% of our total exports so our market is less important to them overall but very important to Belgium an the Netherlands

Given that we have just rolled over the same EU trade agreements with other countries we had with the EU with no better terms, why do think we can now get things cheaper?

Brexit has even changed the mind of Marie La Penne who now wants to restructure the EU rather than leave
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

24-04-2021, 09:23 AM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...it-news-Macron

The French far-right leader added the EU has more to lose on Brexit than the UK. She remarked Europe still felt like a prison, as Ms Le Pen pointed to the “real contempt” shown from the Brussels elite towards the UK during the three years of negogiations.

Ms Le Pen told EuroNews: “Now there are options - the EU can understand that there is a big problem and stop moving towards failure.

“The EU could listen to the people and participate in the creation of this European alliance of nations that we would like to build.

“Or the EU will continue to not accept reality and other countries will leave the EU. It’s a certainty.”

Le Pen warned that the EU faces “other countries leaving” the bloc if it refuses to change
Not going to happen. Listen to the people is not something politicians do.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
In value we do buy more from them than they buy from us but their exports to us only account for 13% of their total exports whereas our exports to them account for just short of 50% of our total exports so our market is less important to them overall but very important to Belgium an the Netherlands

Given that we have just rolled over the same EU trade agreements with other countries we had with the EU with no better terms, why do think we can now get things cheaper?

Brexit has even changed the mind of Marie La Penne who now wants to restructure the EU rather than leave

Stopping trade between countries in the EU and UK won't happen. Countries trade with each other, the EU does not.

If Germany was told by the EU it could no longer sell us the 800,000 German cars a year their auto industry would suffer huge losses impacting the whole of the EU and how its funded. I doubt they would have much of an auto industry of that happened we are their second / third biggest customer and have been for years.

Most of our exports are in services and there is no single market for that If tarrifs were so bad for trade the rest of the world would have FTAs with the EU. Their biggest markets don't and never have (except the UK).

This "they need us more than we need them" is based on some very deceitful statistics.

As for this "rolling over trade agreements" with other countries only a few have been rolled over on an "as is" basis as well. Your making very broad generalisations.

Our trade deals are also ratified. Unlike the EU.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2021, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Stopping trade between countries in the EU and UK won't happen. Countries trade with each other, the EU does not.

If Germany was told by the EU it could no longer sell us the 800,000 German cars a year their auto industry would suffer huge losses impacting the whole of the EU and how its funded. I doubt they would have much of an auto industry of that happened we are their second / third biggest customer and have been for years.

Most of our exports are in services and there is no single market for that If tarrifs were so bad for trade the rest of the world would have FTAs with the EU. Their biggest markets don't and never have (except the UK).

This "they need us more than we need them" is based on some very deceitful statistics.

As for this "rolling over trade agreements" with other countries only a few have been rolled over on an "as is" basis as well. Your making very broad generalisations.

Our trade deals are also ratified. Unlike the EU.
Why do you thing the EU would tell any of its members to stop trading with the U.K.?

German car manufacturers have already done their market research on existing customers post Brexit intentions

Good to see you agree with me that the Brexit mantra of "they need us more than we need them" is in your words “based on some very deceitful statistics”.

I think you’ll find most do want a trade deal with the EU. Australia has prioritised the EU over the UK as has the US under Biden administration.

Most of the trade deals just were rolled over and those that were amended have left us with less favourable terms, Japan being a prime example

More importantly you haven’t answered why you think we can buy things cheaper now we have left the EU
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Why do you thing the EU would tell any of its members to stop trading with the U.K.?

German car manufacturers have already done their market research on existing customers post Brexit intentions

Good to see you agree with me that the Brexit mantra of "they need us more than we need them" is in your words “based on some very deceitful statistics”.

I think you’ll find most do want a trade deal with the EU. Australia has prioritised the EU over the UK as has the US under Biden administration.

Most of the trade deals just were rolled over and those that were amended have left us with less favourable terms, Japan being a prime example

More importantly you haven’t answered why you think we can buy things cheaper now we have left the EU
Why?
Whenever it suits because of threats, whether assumed or real.
Look at the EU ban on exporting covid vaccines for one excellent example.
Who was the primary target of that debacle?
Yes, the UK.

The rest of your ramble is as usual both misleading and outdated.

Unless you really didn't know that were are allegedly on track to sign a trade deal with Australia at the G7 summit, according to Liz Truss via The Times?
Tell us if you can: where exactly are the EU at with a trade deal with Oz?

You ask why it is possible to buy goods cheaper from a global market than a protectionist union so TBH I'm not sure if you were being serious or if it was some sort of failed attempt at sarcasm?

So I will give you just one example from what I'm pretty sure could be a very long list:
Oranges.
The EU subsidizes Valencian oranges.
As an EU member you must pay sometimes huge extra tariffs on imported (to the EU) oranges to protect EU growers in Spain.
South African oranges are cheaper.
Israeli too and there are bound to be others.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2021, 03:16 PM

I think you will find that the UK-Australia trade deal is a lot closer than you think.

As for the "the UK needs the EU more than they need need us" you were claiming earlier, it's simply not true when you look at the trade deficit the UK has with the EU. You can't have those deficit figures working both ways, no matter how much you try to disguise it.

Saying the EU exports only 13% of its goods to the UK and the UK exports 50% of its goods to the EU is completely misleading.

13% of the EU population is around 59 million people
50% of the UK population is around 32 million people

GDP of the EU is 18.92T - 13% of that is $2.4T
GDP of the UK is 2.9T - 50% of that is $1.4T

However, the trade deficit the UK has with the EU is around £79 Billion

The EU trade surplus with the UK is £79 Billion

OR

The EU trade deficit with the UK is -£79 Billion

Think about that last line and what it means.

Then think about the UK fisheries industry, intelligence, defence, USA access (the EU don't get invites to the White House like we do), financial services, Pharma and medical device industry etc etc etc

Finally, those trade deals with the EU weren't just rolled over in the majority of cases.

1. We have actually ratified them - the EU hasn't
2. There are many differences in the Japan-EU trade deal, I'll leave you to google them up, but just remember the UK is no longer bound by single market rules, the customs union and has its own trade policy etc. Just as one difference to highlight, UK state aid rules are different - so Japanese businesses over here are much better protected than they are in the EU for a start.

Page 13 of 15 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top