Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 01:58 PM

A Japanese Acer.

Taken in April in South Walsham, Norfolk. I bought one like this last month, they look very attractive in Autumn.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 07:31 PM

Re: A Japanese Acer.

That's a beauty Alan, acers happen to be one of Mrs PM's favorite trees. They are very graceful, have masses of colour and are one of the hardiest plants around. A sure fire winner of a tree in anyone's garden...
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 09:08 PM

I love them I have 2 in my garden both red ones the only problem I seem to get with them is a bit of dieback does anyone know what causes this in them ?
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Some pics of my Acers

clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 01:05 AM

They are such pretty little trees. We don't see them here but we had one on the front lawn in UK, a very small one, the current owners of the house still have it there.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by suey ->
I love them I have 2 in my garden both red ones the only problem I seem to get with them is a bit of dieback does anyone know what causes this in them ?
They get something called scorch, which is not harmful but causes some of the leaves to shrivel a bit. But they recover. Less prevalant in older ones though.
suey
Shropshire

25-07-2012, 09:30 PM

Thanks Orangutan ours are now about 12 years old one is still in a pot we have replanted it this year into a huge one which will have to last it as it is getting too heavy to lift and repot and the other one is in the garden it seems to be doing better now it is out of the pot and I would say about 8 foot tall and 6 foot wide the photo I put on was just after we planted it out both were just twigs when we bought them as they are so expensive...The one in the garden is Acer Palmatum Bloodgood dont know what the other one is except that it is
Disectum I had a Yellow leaved one with red stems but it only lived the first year as vine weevils got to it we now water them with a killer for these horrid insects...
Sue

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top