Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 12:51 PM

Mince Pies

Over the festive period I do enjoy a few mince pie.

Is it worth making them these days or is buying them in just as good

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Mince Pies

So far my family have eaten their way through 2 dozen mince pies I am making more on Friday.

I make my own mincemeat, none of that gloop in jars
it contains rum soaked fruit and cognac and requires no cooking. It is kept in the fridge.
Pastry is made in seconds in the Kenwood.

Once you have used home made mincemeat the shop bought kind tastes horrid.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 01:07 PM

I always buy them and I do enjoy one now and again ,sometimes I pop one in the microwave and have warm with carnation milk..
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 01:10 PM

I had my first mince pie last week when we were in Bath for the day it was lovely.

I usually make a batch of mince pies but hubby does like the shop bought ones as well so I leave him to it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Not worth my while to make them, but agree with Meg home made taste better. usually wait to see which ones did best in a taste test then give them a try.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 02:14 PM

I just love them---but they have to be very good 'cannot stand cheap makes ..home made is far the best ..yummm don't mind Tesco puff ones '
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 02:25 PM

It's definitely worth making them, in my opinion.

The trouble with shop-bought mince pies is that they nearly all are made with that soft, sweet pastry, which I find too cloying.

I like the pastry case to be crisp and unsweetened, to contrast with the texture and sweetness of the mincemeat.
Also, most bought mince pies have a deep filling - far too much mincemeat. Every bite is just a soggy, sickly, cloying mass in the mouth.

I like to make mine in small shallow patty tins, so you get a good balance of crisp, short pastry and sweet mincemeat.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
It's definitely worth making them, in my opinion.

The trouble with shop-bought mince pies is that they nearly all are made with that soft, sweet pastry, which I find too cloying.

I like the pastry case to be crisp and unsweetened, to contrast with the texture and sweetness of the mincemeat.
Also, most bought mince pies have a deep filling - far too much mincemeat. Every bite is just a soggy, sickly, cloying mass in the mouth.

I like to make mine in small shallow patty tins, so you get a good balance of crisp, short pastry and sweet mincemeat.
I make the shallow ones too with crisp shortcrust pastry they are just two mouths full
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 03:14 PM

I always used to make them but would buy the mincemeat.
My shortcrust pastry was good and I liked to roll it as thin as possible, putting as much filling in as I could.

Now I just buy them from Tesco's or wherever. They are pretty yummy.

My older SIL was heralded as being a good cook ... hmmmmmm lol ... tried her mince pies one year and oooer .. hardly any filling and it was not very tasty.
She had made the mincemeat herself ! Very unimpressed
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 03:16 PM

When I lived 'at home' - Dragon used to make 3 - 4 dozen of them just prior to Xmas, but she always had to make a second batch as my sisters, George and I would hover around the oven whilst they're cooking and pounce as soon as Dragon removed the tray from the oven.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top