Join for free
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 05:25 PM

Re: New Rules On 5p Plastic Carrier Bags

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

In my view a complete con which will do little , if anything, for the environment.

Basically just an income generator for the Government, do not forget that 20% of the 5p goes to the Government as VAT.

Why do I say this?

Well, the disposable plastic bags account for less than !% of the unnecessary plastic packaging in the average Supermarket shop and around 60% of them were used in the house as bin liners etc.

Secondly, bags for life can be dangerous vectors of disease, people do not wash them and around 1 in every 9 wrapped raw chicken products are contaminated with Campylobacter on the outside of the wrapping,which is then transferred to the bag for life so more costs to the NHS.
Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Bringing back brown paper bags with string handles would help methinks....
Don't even need the string, Primark paper bags are very sturdy
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Hi

In response, I will repeat, bags account for less than 1% of plastic packaging, and most bags are recycled in the home as bin bags, so more bin bags will now be purchased, simple fact of life.

Plastic packaging for food stuffs is far more dangerous than single use bags and far more prevalent and is used in much larger quantities.

What on earth is the point of individually wrapping cucumbers for example, or four baking potatoes in a foam tray packed in plastic?

The vast majority of plastic bags which find their way into the environment are actually from fast food, not supermarkets.

If we were really serious about protecting wildlife, which many people claim is one of the reasons for this ban, we should simply ban cats, which are far more dangerous to small furry and feathered creatures than plastic bags.

As for marine pollution by plastic, baby wipes, make up wipes etc are a huge problem.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 06:17 PM

Hi

In my view a complete con which will do little , if anything, for the environment.

Basically just an income generator for the Government, do not forget that 20% of the 5p goes to the Government as VAT.

Why do I say this?

Well, the disposable plastic bags account for less than !% of the unnecessary plastic packaging in the average Supermarket shop and around 60% of them were used in the house as bin liners etc.

Secondly, bags for life can be dangerous vectors of disease, people do not wash them and around 1 in every 9 wrapped raw chicken products are contaminated with Campylobacter on the outside of the wrapping,which is then transferred to the bag for life so more costs to the NHS.
I think society today is overly obsessed with this idea of vectors of disease. Before we had plastic carrier bags we used the equivalent of a 'bag for life' be it the string bag, basket or whatever.
I happen to think that if we had fewer antibacterial products we would have less overall disease. Recent studies, for example, suggest that the increased incidence of asthma in recent years may well be due to infants NOT being exposed to the bacteria which we were in the past.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 06:19 PM

It's a good thing plastic bags can't breed. We could be attacked by mutant carrier bags. Coming out of the sea or dropping on us from trees.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 07:31 PM

What will people put their rubbish in if they dont have carrier bags any more ?My son orders from Asda,most of their goods were in carrier bags which I then used to line my kitchen rubbish bin, when full just throw it in the outside bin
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Hi

In response, I will repeat, bags account for less than 1% of plastic packaging, and most bags are recycled in the home as bin bags, so more bin bags will now be purchased, simple fact of life.

Plastic packaging for food stuffs is far more dangerous than single use bags and far more prevalent and is used in much larger quantities.

What on earth is the point of individually wrapping cucumbers for example, or four baking potatoes in a foam tray packed in plastic?

The vast majority of plastic bags which find their way into the environment are actually from fast food, not supermarkets.

If we were really serious about protecting wildlife, which many people claim is one of the reasons for this ban, we should simply ban cats, which are far more dangerous to small furry and feathered creatures than plastic bags.

As for marine pollution by plastic, baby wipes, make up wipes etc are a huge problem.
I get really angry about all the packaging and have half a mind to unwrap my stuff and leave the packing on the counter! We just don't need it! We could do away with baby wipes while we're at it - whatever happened to soap and water?!! Grrrr !!!
Carrier bags should have gone years ago..
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 01:47 PM

Nice to see it making a tangible difference

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36917174

For everyone who thought it would be a big pain in the backside, it's not really is it? It's funny how sometimes we think something is going to be dreadful actually isn't.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 02:09 PM

People get used to change very quickly....we got used to the free plastic bags and we have now got used to doing without them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 02:11 PM

It is great news that the 5p carrier bag tax is making a difference but I wonder what other countries are doing about it?

I still can't understand how when I put a carrier bag out with the rubbish, it ends up in a turtles mouth.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
People get used to change very quickly....we got used to the free plastic bags and we have now got used to doing without them.
Yes, this is true! Malcolm. The more things change, the more they are the same! A bit like Brexit, really!!

I wonder how much has gone to charity from the supermarkets?

Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top