Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 09:20 AM

Re: New Rules On 5p Plastic Carrier Bags

Why these bags were ever put out into the system is beyond comprehension. They were always an ecological disaster waiting to happen.

Knowing the dangers why have they not been banned!!

maud
derbyshire
maud is male 

31-08-2015, 09:25 AM

It's much easier to use hessian or cotton bags . There is too much waste about , but it seems there is too much bureaucracy regarding these plastic bags .

If they were serious, then why not charge 25p per bag ? and give more money to good causes .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by maud ->
It's much easier to use hessian or cotton bags . There is too much waste about , but it seems there is too much bureaucracy regarding these plastic bags .

If they were serious, then why not charge 25p per bag ? and give more money to good causes .

Agree...but I have never see anywhere that shows you which charities the money received for these bags goes to. Have you!
maud
derbyshire
maud is male 

31-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Agree...but I have never see anywhere that shows you which charities the money received for these bags goes to. Have you!
Over £1 million gone to good causes and usage down 80% in Scotland according to this article
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...rge-introduced
solo
UK

31-08-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by maud ->
Over £1 million gone to good causes and usage down 80% in Scotland according to this article
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...rge-introduced

Thanks maud. Not sure about England..

A mandatory “charity” plastic bag charge which comes into force next year will rake in millions of pounds in tax for the Treasury, Telegraph discloses

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-minister.html
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I shop with my own sturdy bags, much easier than messing about with those thin plastic offerings
Same here Honey, always have taken my own shopping bags, less chance of them tearing as your loading your car/shopping trolley.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Promise you won't laugh? But the wife and I used to make our own shopping bags out of old bed sheets.
It's wonderful what you can do with a sewing machine.
We still have a couple in with our 10p 'bags for life' sainsburys ones.
solo
UK

31-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Promise you won't laugh? But the wife and I used to make our own shopping bags out of old bed sheets.
It's wonderful what you can do with a sewing machine.
We still have a couple in with our 10p 'bags for life' sainsburys ones.

Good for you Emjay. I make mine as well out of old fabric pieces

orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 12:42 PM

If you want a plastic carrier bag here in Ireland they charge something like 35 cents! I never need them, as I use my own bags, but I always thought the main reason was nothing to do with charity but as a deterrent to reduce plastic litter. Don't know where I heard that, so could be wrong.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2015, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Why these bags were ever put out into the system is beyond comprehension. They were always an ecological disaster waiting to happen.

Knowing the dangers why have they not been banned!!

Did a thread on this a couple of years back - they should be banned, they cause a lot of problems to wildlife too
Years ago we had paper bags with string - we always take our own shopping bags, wish more people would do the same

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top