Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 09:15 PM

Warning to all Dog Owners!

I have copied this from the Ute Forum as I thought it should be brought to all dog owners' notice.

"WARNING FOR ALL DOG OWNERS - RE CHILDRENS TOYS FOR DOGS

Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to become a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs.

Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.

Tamara Baker

Associate Scientist II"

Please pass it on to other dog owners you may know. It is scary and easily done! I got rid of all my teddy bears when I got Loki as she started chewing them! I only buy her soft toys from the local pet shop and once she makes a hole in them, I throw them out!
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 09:33 PM

Re: Warning to all Dog Owners!

That is a dreadful story Brandykins, and a warning for us all.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 10:09 PM

This E-mail Originated in America.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/stuffedtoys.asp
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 10:15 PM

Thanks for posting that Rose . . . . I'm now removing all the beanies laying about the house . . . they don't eat them but better safe than sorry.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Rocky only gets indestructible type toys - as he wrecks everything else
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2010, 11:25 PM

I only buy dog toys for Loki. I gave away all the soft toys I had when I got Loki as a pup - all 200 of them Getting Loki did me a favour, I could even see my sofa afterwards

That link was on the Ute site but I just copied the actual post, Galty! Thank you for sharing the link.

It is still worthwhile noting and passing on the info!
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks for posting this. I was going to buy our Jacks some squeakers to put in kids toys, they love the squeak and soft toys are always on sale in junk shops. I'm going to pass this on to our dog community. Thanks again.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Thank you for the warning.
I must admit that my dog does not have any toys, he does not like them. He is a rescued dog who had been badly treated by a man or children as he does not like either. In the first year he drew blood from me 4 times but then after three years I finally got him to allow me to have a rough and tumble with him, he still hates other men though.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2010, 10:24 PM

What a tragic story-will certainly pass it on to my friend who has soft toys for her dogs-

Will also spread the word at the Vets when I go in on Monday.

Thank you for the information.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Are flame retardents in the polyester of dog beds dangerous?

I've got a newish dog bed to give a friend for her dog but her dog is a pup that chews and I think the bed is dangerous for dogs that chew. I know it has flame retardent in the polyester. It's a Danish Design dog bed.

Any info gratefully received thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top