Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 08:58 AM

Dogs and muzzles

I hate them but I think I'm going to have to get one for Monty, he keeps eating all the rubbish washed up on the beach and more worrying the food he finds by the skate park, choc bars etc. It makes him quite ill for a few days, obviously we try everything to stop him but , well he is a male and a Jack Russell so very independent and strong willed.I'm guessing the basket type is the best to allow them to pant etc but any other pointers I should look for? Thanks Val.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Re: Dogs and muzzles

I have a friend who was told by the vet to get one - I think it was the basket type. Your pet shop should be able to tell you if you go there to get one fitted. Poor Monty!! Hope you get one to suit.

Hugs to Monty from me and doggy kisses from Loki.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 09:08 AM

That's a sensible, pragmatic, action
Poor Monty - people will think he is savage
I don't have any experience but I would think a lightweight basket-type would fit the bill
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Poor Monty, but if it keeps him safe I would get one too. Be careful around other dogs though, if he comes across an aggressive dog he will be unable to defend himself.
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 02:54 PM

This is where he runs off to, we try to avoid Teds in summer but Monty knows if he keeps on running he can get there before we catch up.

Lady is more interested in a ball and she's better behaved, Monty even walks like a gangster.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 03:26 PM

It looks a lovely place. It's difficult isnt it when they scavage alot. I have to be careful with Asti as she suffers with Pancreatitis. She ate a fatball (them what you feed the birds), a bird must have dropped it in our garden, we caught her eating it, she was very ill and had to go too the vets and was put on tablets.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 04:15 PM

I got one for Rocky when he was a pup (to stop him eating stones from the garden) but ended up never using it as he just hated it and would scrape his face against the wall to get it off

If you get one make sure there's enough room for him to pant
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2010, 09:59 PM

Hi Val, my Hatti girl wears a muzzle everytime we go out, even if she's on the lead. Its a basket muzzle and it does allow her to pant and drink.

She wears one because she likes a clean environment!!!!! Dog poo, dead birds, squirrels etc. etc. Even on lead without a muzzle on she'll snatch anything up she passes. Twice she has nearly killed herself by eating 'something' so had no choice but to get a muzzle. To get her used to it, I used to put it on for a few secs/minutes a few times a day until I felt she was comfortable with it. Now she waits for me to put it on before she gets out of the car. Do get some strange reactions from people, which are understandable-'muzzled dog-must bite', but I try to tell them in advance that she only has it on because she eats everything. Majority of people understand but you always get those who don't believe you.

Like you Val, I hate them, but I would rather have my girl with a muzzle rather than her eating something that makes her ill. Good Luck
val
Kent UK

11-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Thanks Merz, a few dogs on our walks wear them for the same reason so the locals would understand why, especially as Monty has just been in the vets for a bad kidney infection that he could've got through eating something awful.We get some sideway looks from holiday makers anyway a lot of people are very wary of Jacks so one with a muzzle will be a double whammy. His friend Dennis wears one, his owner has had some very expensive vet bills for the same reason, you get used to seeing it but I take your point that we'll have to explain first. Unless we have him on a short lead, mind you even that doesn't work, I've known him pick up a sweet along the road without missing a beat, its something we're going to have to try for his sake.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2010, 10:02 PM

Know what you mean Val about other people, but I've got used to ignoring them now-they can say what they want. Monty sounds just as quick as Hatti for picking things up and they've swallowed it in a flash! As least if you do decide to put a muzzle on, you won't need to worry about if he has eaten something and if he is going to be ill. Also saves vet bills!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top