Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:24 AM

Cheap cuts of Meat

Breast of Lamb , Scrag or Neck end for delicious tasy stews, Chicken wings for casseroles, Pork belly and Brisket slow roasted. All cheap cuts that just need a little longer cooking to tenderise and bring out the flavour.

I still like breast of lamb skirt simply slow roasted. Do you use any of these cheaper cuts.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Re: Cheap cuts of Meat

I often cook belly pork slowly so all the fat melts away.

Also shin beef and oxtail which is best cooked the day before it is required then put in the fridge to allow the fat to come to the top and set so it can be lifted off. Lovely served with herb dumplings
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Yes and things such as liver.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:53 AM

I often use ox cheeks or pigs cheeks for slow cooked casseroles and they are very tasty and tender. I do the pigs cheeks with onion and green peppers in a sauce flavoured with tomato puree. It is my own recipe, but if anyone wants to try it I can send it to you.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
It is great isn't it Nom? I had liver, bacon and onions last night with rich gravy and mashed potatoes, carrots and spring cabbage. Mmmm.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 11:59 AM

Hi

Yes I use cheap cuts of meat all the time.

However it depends on what you call cheap.

Living in a rural area with some very big slaughterhouses and meat packing plants cheap means cheap.

Fillet steak is the most expensive, between £9 and £10 a kilo.

Braising steak and shin is between £3 and £4 a kilo.

Breasts of lamb are 3 for £5, as are ham hocks.

Gammon Steaks, from the end of the gammon, so not perfectly even in thickness are £1.80 for a two kilo pack.

Cheap is cheap here.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:11 PM

Trouble is the Gastro Pubs used some cheaper cuts to keep costs down i.e Lamb shanks. That immediately put the price up in supermarkets and butchers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->

Ooh no, liver goes with my dread of beetroot and prunes.
I feel the same about kidneys, tongue, and heart. Can can anyone possibly sit there and eat a creature's heart?????

My oldest Beddie would kill for a bit of liver so I buy a bit as a treat for her sometimes and make myself cook it. I hate the way it's all slippery and slidey and dripping blood. Aaaggh! Even the smell in while it's cooking is revolting.
The things we do for love!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:15 PM

I just love all these cheaper cuts that have been mentioned, and cook quite regulary, people who don"t are missing a real treat.

Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yes I use cheap cuts of meat all the time.

However it depends on what you call cheap.

Living in a rural area with some very big slaughterhouses and meat packing plants cheap means cheap.

Fillet steak is the most expensive, between £9 and £10 a kilo.

Braising steak and shin is between £3 and £4 a kilo.

Breasts of lamb are 3 for £5, as are ham hocks.

Gammon Steaks, from the end of the gammon, so not perfectly even in thickness are £1.80 for a two kilo pack.

Cheap is cheap here.
You're very lucky to be able to but fillet steak for that price, you can pay that much for two small pieces, I'm quite shocked at the mark up the butcher makes ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top