Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 01:11 AM

Britain's Unwanted Pets - on tonight BBC1 8.30pm

Panorama BBC1 20:30 - Monday 2nd August.

Last year saw a big increase in the numbers of stray dogs recorded as being picked up in the UK. Tom Heap discovers that many of the unwanted dogs in pounds and rescues are Staffordshire bull terrier types - and asks why so many of them are being let go and destroyed.

Has the fashion for aggressive looking 'status' dogs contributed to the numbers of abandoned pets the authorities are now having to deal with? Panorama has gained access to one of the most famous animal rescues in the world, Battersea Dogs Home, and reveals the shocking truth of the numbers of dogs it is having to put to sleep.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tcfmp
You'll be able to watch it live here.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Re: Britain's Unwanted Pets - on tonight BBC1 8.30pm

Poor staffies

However, looking at things in the round, it may be as well for them to painlessly, kindly, release (ie pts) those poor creatures which have been so damaged that they can't be re-assimilated. They can then concentrate their resources on people and pets where there can be a happy resolution

Humans! Pah!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 09:14 AM

I like Staffies and think the press give them a hard time - at least, up here they do! Even although it was two Staffies that attacked Loki, it wasn't their fault - it was their owners who couldn't be bothered taking them out and left them out in the garden! It's the owners who should be pts who can't look after them, or train them properly!

Thanks for the link, Azz.

Take care.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 02:12 PM

I saw that on the BBC news this morning, how sad that all those dogs have to be put to sleep through no fault of their own ...... just human incompetence
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 04:23 PM

sadly I am not shocked. I used to be a good friend of a lady who had no money but a huge heart.

She would take in any cat-from those thrown into fires when a couple had a row to those who no longer matched the colour scheme.

The dogs and cats suffer and die for the whim of a so called `superior` species-it makes me sick
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-08-2010, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the reminder Azz. I'll probably watch this and be disgusted yet again with how we use and abuse other creatures.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top