Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:07 AM

Re: Vaccines

Originally Posted by Realist ->
An absolutely crazy thing to do imho.

If you've never had Chicken Pox then you cannot catch Shingles unless you come into direct contact with a Shingles sufferer whilst they are highly contagious and then you'd have to touch their sores.

So by having the vaccine you've simply now put yourself at risk of catching Shingles where before you had zero chance of catching it.
Even if you are right, why would you want to tell her this? Wow
What I find crazy is that you want to manipulate everyone else personal health choices when it’s not your business to do so.
These people are old enough and intelligent enough to make decisions on their own without your approval.
You don’t have to approve of everyone else’s personal decisions.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
You can only contract/develop shingles if you've previously had chicken pox.
Correct, but if you have the Shingles vaccine you can then contract Shingles where before you couldn't.

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm wondering if the shingles jab is a good idea
No it's a terrible idea.

If you've never had Chicken Pox then you don't need the vaccine, period.

If you HAVE had Chicken Pox then you could get Shingles however the chances of that happening are so ridiculously small that it isn't worth worrying about. There are 65 million people in the UK and of those only 50,000 get Shingles each year. That equates to a 0.07% chance of getting Shingles . . . . less than a tenth of a percent !

It really isn't worth worrying about and certainly not worth the risk of having a vaccine full of toxic ingredients.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:14 AM

In my entire life I have had exactly four vaccines - only one of which (Tetanus) was my own choice. Diphtheria given as a baby, polio when I was 12yrs, Tetanus when I first started keeping cats, and whatever the compulsory one was when I went to India - cannot remember if it was Smallpox or Yellow Fever.

Working in the NHS for as many years as I did - there was ample opportunity to have vaccinations - I always refused. Even when they tried to make it compulsory for staff to have the MMR one - no way would I have that!

My sister and brother, at various times, both caught measles, mumps. chicken pox and rubella - but - even though mother threw us all into the same bedroom for the duration - I never caught any of them. I firmly believe that that the human body was designed, in the main, to heal itself. These days people rely far too much on pills and potions. Steroids seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment - GPs are doling them for chest infections - why? They are anti-inflammatory not anti-bacteria.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Even if you are right, why would you want to tell her this? Wow
It's old news Bratti that we have all discussed at length in the dedicated Shingles Vaccine thread.

An important aspect of these kind of discussions is not so much the rights and wrongs of each side of the debate, but more the understanding of our own thought processes and how we arrive at the decisions we do.

I don't know why Mags chose to have the vaccine if she'd never had Chicken Pox but there could be a number of reasons.

One could simply be that she didn't realise that she was totally immune to Shingles in the first place

Another could be that she didn't realise that having the vaccine puts her at risk of catching Shingles in later life.

If it's either of the above then that's a result of lack of knowledge and would suggest that none of us should ever have a vaccine without first getting hold of all the important information. It might also suggest that her GP didn't provide the full information or was him/herself ignorant of the facts.

No GP should be prescribing a Shingles vaccine to anyone who has not had Chicken Pox. Doing so is imho totally negligent.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2018, 12:18 AM

What I find crazy is that you want to manipulate everyone else personal health choices when it’s not your business to do so.
I'm not manipulating anyone's health choices Bratti, simply bringing available information to the fore so we can all make better, more informed decisions. You surely would support people making more informed decisions right ?

These people are old enough and intelligent enough to make decisions on their own without your approval. You don’t have to approve of everyone else’s personal decisions.
Again where is this idea of approval coming from? Just silly comments TBH.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
In my entire life I have had exactly four vaccines - only one of which (Tetanus) was my own choice. Diphtheria given as a baby, polio when I was 12yrs, Tetanus when I first started keeping cats, and whatever the compulsory one was when I went to India - cannot remember if it was Smallpox or Yellow Fever.

Working in the NHS for as many years as I did - there was ample opportunity to have vaccinations - I always refused. Even when they tried to make it compulsory for staff to have the MMR one - no way would I have that!

My sister and brother, at various times, both caught measles, mumps. chicken pox and rubella - but - even though mother threw us all into the same bedroom for the duration - I never caught any of them. I firmly believe that that the human body was designed, in the main, to heal itself. These days people rely far too much on pills and potions. Steroids seem to be the 'in thing' at the moment - GPs are doling them for chest infections - why? They are anti-inflammatory not anti-bacteria.
I never get vaccines either. The only ones I’ve had were mandatory and those were given to me when I was a child.
Now that I have a choice I choose not to get them but I definitely don’t go on a mission to change everyone else’s mind about it.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:31 AM

I'm not manipulating anyone's health choices Bratti, simply bringing available information to the fore so we can all make better, more informed decisions. You surely would support people making more informed decisions right ?

You are not always correct Realist ....

Do I need the shingles vaccine if I've never had chickenpox?

Yes. The chances are that you have had chickenpox at some point without knowing it. Some people have chickenpox without displaying any of the typical chickenpox symptoms, such as a rash.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccin...s-and-answers/
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2018, 12:34 AM

I never get vaccines either. The only ones I’ve had were mandatory and those were given to me when I was a child.
Now that I have a choice I choose not to get them but I definitely don’t go on a mission to change everyone else’s mind about it.
I don't think Realist means his posts that way, Bratti, I think he just likes to keep us up to date with the facts. He is passionate about health issues.

I believe in free choice in these matters. Like you I choose not to have vaccinations. I do not even take antibiotics.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

13-12-2018, 12:37 AM

No I don’t help people make better informed decisions about their health unless they specifically ASK for my personally opinion.

Offering advice, over and over again when most people don’t want to hear it is actually considered extremely rude.

You are ultimately disapproving of other people’s personal health decisions. If you think you aren’t then you are in serious denial.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2018, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

NHS Advice:

Do I need the shingles vaccine if I've never had chickenpox?

Yes. The chances are that you have had chickenpox at some point without knowing it. Some people have chickenpox without displaying any of the typical chickenpox symptoms, such as a rash.

That is astonishingly bad advice imho. Horrific. But no surprise given NHS is owned and controlled by Big Pharma who simply want to sell their vaccines.

That horrific advice will see many people having the vaccine when they've NEVER EVER had Chickenpox. The advice basically says, "just have the vaccine just in case" which is totally negligent. I might even write to the NHS to complain about that.

Given a person's chance (in the UK) of getting Shingles is a tiny 0.07% if they DID have chicken pox then putting out that kind of advice is just pure evil.

It serves only to underline once again that we can not blindly trust the NHS or its staff. It is no longer a health oriented service, it is a profits driven business.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top