Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 07:02 AM

Nanny State again

Hi

Always being told what to do.

This advert has been banned after 3 people complained.

It is apparently a danger to children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:11 AM

Re: Nanny State again

I doubt it´s a danger to children, more of a danger to the adults who open the cans in the first place. There are never any warnings about those tins of corned beef with the strip you have to roll round the can, which promptly twist into coils, don´t open the tin but are very good at slicing your fingers on. Some of this health and safety stuff is just ridiculous. It really makes you wonder how anyone ever managed to survive before all this kind of thing.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I doubt it´s a danger to children, more of a danger to the adults who open the cans in the first place. There are never any warnings about those tins of corned beef with the strip you have to roll round the can, which promptly twist into coils, don´t open the tin but are very good at slicing your fingers on. Some of this health and safety stuff is just ridiculous. It really makes you wonder how anyone ever managed to survive before all this kind of thing.

This is true. I agree Clumsy.
Loads of ring pull tins by dodgy too.
JainieB
Hampshire UK
JainieB is female  JainieB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Always being told what to do.

This advert has been banned after 3 people complained.

It is apparently a danger to children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38073866
I agree, heard it this morning on the Today programme and thought it completely rediculous
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 10:51 AM

I think Heinz would be wise to remove the advertisement anyway. It is a gift to anyone with a cut (not necessarily as a result of a cut from the tin) to try to sue them for compensation.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 11:16 AM

Mmmm, don't agree with anyone trying to nanny us but...... maybe there are still a few families who still use only the old type tin openers which leave jagged edges on the tins. If their small children were to fish any of these tins out of the bin and copy the kids in the advert, they could end up being badly hurt and Heinz could end up in court with a case against them, so maybe in this one instance it was better to remove the advert.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 11:36 AM

How did i survive my tin can and string telephones, mind you a busker in the main shopping street makes a canny living playing empty paint pot drums.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
How did i survive my tin can and string telephones, mind you a busker in the main shopping street makes a canny living playing empty paint pot drums.
That's nothing, along with the lads we used to collect all the old/dead fireworks off the ground after bonfire night and set fire to them. Some went bang Heaven know how some of us survived the things we got up to.

I have also helped to open a can of beans (stolen from some mums store cupboard) with a nail and a stone in order to heat them up in old pan on a camp fire.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Not a big fan of Baked Beans, but honestly what a fuss.
Now corned beef tins - Those with the key at the side, that never quite works for me. THEY ARE DANGEROUS.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2016, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
We used to make walkie talkies out of tin cans too Nom, Tomahawks too, flatten a can out with a stick inside it and hold it in with a few rusty nails that you straightened out earlier, then head off to scalp the kids on the next street.
We are beginning to see the results of all this nannying now, young adults who can’t prepare a decent meal for themselves, young men who don’t know what a hammer and chisel are for and who can’t do minor house repairs, children padded up like American footballers when out playing, all the basic manual stuff one learns when young from a parent is considered too dangerous to teach our kids today, the result is that they can’t do anything for themselves anymore, after a few generations of this we will be completely dependant on Nanny, and far easier to control, but maybe that’s the big plan?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top