Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 12:35 AM

Re: The best film ever made ?

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
The thing is, to decide on what is the best movie ever made it would have to be determined by a fixed set of criteria don't you think?

(in no particular order)

Music Score
Cinematography
fact or fiction
real life or make-believe
strength of story-line
depth of story-line
usage of colour
usage of sound
usage of props (necessary or just there to help sell the movie)
level of depth actors/actresses put into their part

Now if all the above was used as a standard for what makes the best movie, 3 movies immediately stand out in my mind which covers all of the above, which are Lawrence of Arabia, Dances with Wolves and 2001 a Space Odyssey. Now of some in the above list was removed, naturally is would change alter the selection of movies.

Hence you can see the problem of 'What is the best movie ever made'
Well stated. I would also add: the script and an ending with a twist.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2020, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I agree BM. It is a masterpiece. It's been showcased here before and I get the impression that it is, by no means, a popular favourite here. To each their own but it is my favourite along with the original Day of the Jackal and anything with Cate Blanchett. My wife, son and I have watched Shawshank probably seven times ?.. maybe more.
7 Times?? That's time enough for him to escape.
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

30-04-2020, 10:27 PM

For those that list "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" in their greatest list, may I suggest you read the original work done by Ken Kesey. Yes, the film was very good, but it was morphed by Nicholson from the original to a different version than what the author intended. Is that bad or good? Only you can decide.

Is Shawshank one of the greatest? That's a completely subjective question and there is no right answer. What I like and what you like are completely different. My likes are usually well outside of the common-man's choices. I really think that you would need to break it down by genre, and even then you still wouldn't get a solid answer.

Anyway for a starters, for comedy I'd have to go with Blazing Saddles, Airplane, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, Monty Python and the Holy Grail and It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Best Christmas Movie? I'd Go with Die Hard, A Christmas Story, The Ref, The Santa Clause and It's a Wonderful Life.

Best Drama? The Godfather, To Have and Have Not, Saving Private Ryan, In the Heat of the Night and We Were Soldiers.

Best Family? Secondhand Lions, E.T. the Extraterrestrial, The Absent-Minded Professor, The Shaggy D.A. and The Love Bug.

If so desired, I can continue with the genres...but you get the drift.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top