Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Re: 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports made in Poland by French-Dutch co

De la Rue's has had various financial woes over the last few years including the failure of Venezuela to pay of an £18m loan. You don't want the company printing passports to go into liquidation.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
De la Rue's has had various financial woes over the last few years including the failure of Venezuela to pay of an £18m loan. You don't want the company printing passports to go into liquidation.
De La Rue has to settle a £200+ million loan in 2021, I believe.

De La Rue's core business and expertise is world class......however that won't be enough in itself to save it.

Your last sentence doesn't make any sense, btw, other than nobody wants any company to go in to liquidation but why especially a passport printing company makes no sense.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 11:21 PM

I don't have details of the tender scoring, but if you have a company that has a history of poor financial performance then that will score negatively if you are correctly assessing the situation. You do not award long term contracts to companies that are at risk of going bust. Hope that now makes sense!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

24-02-2020, 11:32 PM

By the way if they have a 200m loan to settle next year then they will find it very hard to survive. They are part of a shrinking market in general. Their original expertise was printing and everything is going digital now.

What we should really have is a public organisation printing our banknotes and printing our passports. That is the only way to ensure that such organisations are guaranteed to not go bust. The privatisation lark has basically not worked in certain cases. Perhaps the only answer is to have a partnership between public and private in form of joint ventures or other forms of legal structure so that you mitigate risk but still have sufficient innovation opportunities and non-public expertise. Having said that I thought HS2 was being developed by such a venture....
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I see, thanks for the explanation. As I mentioned I don't personally know the rules and regs. of the EU and certainly didn't know about that. So that would make swimfeeder's comment about it being nothing to do with the EU correct then?

All far too complicated for me, just such a shame that a UK company didn't get the contract, jobs depend on contracts like that so it's not good news for that 200-year-old company.
If a contract for supplies or services to central government is worth less than €144,000 (££118,133), the rules and processes are simple as it only needs to be advertised in the UK. This is also the case with works contracts which are below €5,548,000 (£4,551,413) and social and other specific services contracts worth less than €750,000 (£615,278).
However, contracts worth more than these thresholds must be advertised throughout the European Union using set forms and rules as laid out in the Public Procurement Regulations. The contract notice must also be sent to the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU).
The EU Public Procurement Directives and UK Public Procurement Regulations will continue to apply during the transition period from 31 January 2020 until 31 December 2020.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

25-02-2020, 01:26 AM

I don't think passport manufacture and printing would quality for a security exemption under the current rules.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ness_guide.pdf
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 01:41 PM

I don't think passport manufacture and printing would quality for a security exemption under the current rules.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ness_guide.pdf
Of course not. Your current passports are printed abroad by De la Rue:

The Home Office said on Wednesday night that no final decision had been made on where the new passports would be printed. A spokeswoman said: “We are running a fair and open competition to ensure that the new contract delivers a high quality and secure product and offers the best value for money for customers.
"We do not require passports to be manufactured in the UK. A proportion of blank passport books are currently manufactured overseas, and there are no security or operational reasons why this would not continue.”
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 07:32 PM

I don't have details of the tender scoring, but if you have a company that has a history of poor financial performance then that will score negatively if you are correctly assessing the situation. You do not award long term contracts to companies that are at risk of going bust. Hope that now makes sense!
I agree that would definitely count against them.
Moscow
Scotland

25-02-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Of course not. Your current passports are printed abroad by De la Rue:

The Home Office said on Wednesday night that no final decision had been made on where the new passports would be printed. A spokeswoman said: “We are running a fair and open competition to ensure that the new contract delivers a high quality and secure product and offers the best value for money for customers.
"We do not require passports to be manufactured in the UK. A proportion of blank passport books are currently manufactured overseas, and there are no security or operational reasons why this would not continue.”
I agree, no reason in theory why passports can't be printed abroad if the companies are fully vetted and audited and the correct security inks/features are specified.......
After all most countries worldwide outsource their banknote and pasport printing.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

26-02-2020, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I agree, no reason in theory why passports can't be printed abroad if the companies are fully vetted and audited and the correct security inks/features are specified.......
After all most countries worldwide outsource their banknote and pasport printing.
De la rue printed euro notes for the ECB, and of excellent quality. All parties benefit when high quality work is done for sharp prices.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top