Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51366123

The change comes after experts said 2040 would be too late if the UK wants to achieve its target of emitting virtually zero carbon by 2050.

People will only be able to buy electric or hydrogen cars and vans, once the ban comes into effect.
That's the good news; here's the bad news:

Rise of SUVs 'makes mockery' of electric car push

The "immense" rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found.

As a result, overall exhaust emissions from new cars have been increasing, not declining, for the past three years, says the UK Energy Research Centre.

SUV sales are jeopardising the UK transport sector's ability to meet EU emissions targets, it said.

"SUVs are larger and heavier than a standard car, emitting about a quarter more CO2 than a medium-size car and nearly four times more than a medium-sized battery electric vehicle," said the UKERC.

"Assuming the majority of these SUVs will be on UK roads for at least a decade, it is estimated the extra cumulative emissions to total around 8.2 million tons of CO2."
IMO, SUV's should be effectively banned by taxing them off the road .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 12:43 PM

Re: Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

So what about all the lorries, ships, and trains?
And what about the rest of the world?
Is the UK going to try and solve the climate change emergency all by itself?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 12:52 PM

First, let's take out the SUV's .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
First, let's take out the SUV's .....
How are the children going to get to school Omah?...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
How are the children going to get to school Omah?...
Anyway they can, apart from SUV .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 02:25 PM

I think we should all go back to owning horses & carriages/carts, then the population couldn't travel as far, nor would there be any fumes except from the dung, which is good as a fertilizer.
I've been watching DVD's of Larkrise to Candleford. Wish I had lived in those times.
Savvy
United States
Savvy is male  Savvy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 02:44 PM

It is nice to have goals to reduce emissions.

A couple of weeks ago our President said that he did not like small cars, he liked big cars. Standard SUV gas guzzlers may not be big enough for our leadership.

The notion that we don't need to eliminate emissions from personal vehicles because there will still be trains, trucks and buses is beyond ridiculous. Big problems are rarely solved in one giant step. Any move to reduce emissions is a positive one.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 02:47 PM

I don't know what exactly is classed as an SUV, but I see lots of brand new oversized cars around, and they all plug in, so presumably they're hybrid or fully electric.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

04-02-2020, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't know what exactly is classed as an SUV, but I see lots of brand new oversized cars around, and they all plug in, so presumably they're hybrid or fully electric.
What were gas-guzzlers are now electricity-eaters .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 02:51 PM

I will be long gone by then or past driving anything other than my legs

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top