Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
biffo
Norfolk UK
biffo is male  biffo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 10:33 PM

Re: Holden Axed

That does look good! But what's that
wing mirror? (Someone will know )
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:25 PM

The glorious FJ. Australia's original muscle car. I wish.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	holden.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	11637  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2020, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Not totally sure what you mean but..the whole thing is a custom "charicature" job of the FJ.. I guess that includes the mirrors.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
Thats a video camera biffo!
Donkeyman!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2020, 02:00 PM

I've seen Holden cars in the Brokenwood Mysteries TV series. They look rather smart. A pity that another car maker is closing.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2020, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've seen Holden cars in the Brokenwood Mysteries TV series. They look rather smart. A pity that another car maker is closing.
I am only really familiar with the Kingswood models. Holdens weren't the most modern of cars and certainly not the best designed but they were built like tanks and could take just about any sort of road in the days when dirt roads were common.

The Kingswoods were fitted with either a straight six 3.5 litre motor or a 6 litre V8. There wouldn't be many Australian teenagers that didn't buy a V8 Holden as their first car until the state government decided that they were killing themselves and each other far too often.

I had a HK station wagon and a HJ sedan The latter had a massive boot but with most of the space taken up by the spare wheel.

They were the quintessential family car, As a family we would go to the drive-in in the wagon, reverse up the ramp and watch the movie lying in the back with the tailgate down

galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 09:54 AM

They made some great cars in the 70/80s

Dont know why they stopped production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2020, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
They made some great cars in the 70/80s

Dont know why they stopped production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L67BiENzYs
People taste in cars changed, Holden didn't, they were ruled from the USA who had little interest in right hand drive cars and really didn't compete against Asian cars who now dominate the market.

For example Ford produces the excellent Ford Ranger Ute but Holden merely rebadged a Isuzu ute, if you are going to buy a ute why would you buy a Holden rather than an Isuzu?

This is a damning review of the HJ Holden Kingswood - a car I drove for 12 years.

Start at about 2.30min in.

rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Hasn’t psa bought gm , it’s part of the Peugeot/Citroen group now as is Vauxhall/ Opel, but am I missing something?
It was only the European business of GM that PSA bought, so as you say Vauxhall and Opel which is a very small operation as far as GM are concerned. All that remains of Vauxhall in Britain is the Ellesmere Port Factory that makes the Astra, and the Luton factory that only produces the Vauxhall Vivaro van which is also badged as the Opel Vivaro and used to be badged as the Renault Trafic and Nissan Primastar, but I suspect that is no longer the case with Peogeot / Citroen owning Vauxhall.
The Corsa which is advertised as "The New Rule Britannia" is only made in Spain.
The closure of Holden's was announced over a year ago but there were no specific dates given.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-02-2020, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by rcs60h ->
The closure of Holden's was announced over a year ago but there were no specific dates given.
That's not quite right - GMH announced the ceasing of Holden car production in Australia several years ago but promised something like 22 new Holden models to come on the market (presumably rebadged imported cars).

This never happened but it is only very recently GM announced that the Holden name would cease to exist. Basically the GM head office in the USA has lost interest in right hand drive cars, they have enough problems at home.

About the same time of the Holden decision to cease production of an Australian car Ford did exactly the same thing (I think it was about 2013). Production of the Ford Falcon model ceased in 2016 with Holden ceasing production of the Commodore a year later. Those dates are about right but from memory (an increasingly fragile asset).

Ford continues to trade of course, I think their Ford Ranger is the biggest selling four door ute in Australia.

Toyota dominates the car market.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top