Join for free
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 08:57 AM

Fencing panels advice please

Once again two fencing panels and posts have blown down. Only 3 months ago I had it happen during the previous storm . I'm looking for some advice possibly about a different type that may withstand the wind. In my row of houses in in the middle of 6 . Each year I paint the panels and posts, each post is concreted in , the panels are 5ft high . No one else in the row looks after their fence , theres are left to rot each year and mine in excellent condition are always hit by the wind and blow down . Each time I have to pay around and over £100 for renewals and repairs and I'm sick of it . I like my privacy and dont want lower fencing so 5ft is ideal for me . Is there a fencing panel that would be more wind resistant I could have put up .

The type I have is the good quality panels but there are no gaps in the wood and I'm wondering if an ' open' panel would be better

I could do with some advice please as its costing me a lot of money every storm we have

Thankyou
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 09:09 AM

Re: Fencing panels advice please

Hi Susan. Your fence posts certainly shouldn't blow down if the have been erected properly. I use Postcrete. It sets almost immediately. A hole should be dug to a suitable depth, usually 18 inches. I wonder who is doing the work for you? Are they doing a proper job? Shame I don't still live in Dorset. I was in Three Legged Cross for a few years.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 09:38 AM

After yesterday's weather I can endorse concrete 'H' posts and gravel boards with panels so you can repair or replace as and when needed. Pricy but worth it.

It might be your neighbour's fence bringing yours down if the wooden posts are rotten.

This site might might help.

https://www.kandsfencing.co.uk/fence...or-windy-areas
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 09:48 AM

For a 1800mm (6ft) fence I use galvanised steel fence posts concreted a minimum of 600mm (2ft) into the ground (ie 8ft posts - 2440mm x 50mm x 50mm x 3mm).

It's the cheapest and strongest way to go.

realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 01:58 PM

we too have a loose wooden fence post ,but it is next doors fence and they like yours are to lazy to care. Only today I did a temp. support to stop a large section coming down. Sue went around to have a word but apparently they are down with the flu.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 02:08 PM

I've had my workman here this morn

I'm having concrete posts and feather lite fencing I think it's called. It will be higher off the ground so it wont rot in the wet soil . I'm waiting for the quote but I cant carry on having fences breaking each storm we have .

I know concrete posts are ugly but I'm past caring after this storm .

Thankyou all

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top