Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 11:05 AM

Re: 2017 cruise

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
That is before you think while having diner, one mile of water below and just one inch of steel between Worse..
This starts to sound like you are afraid of water. What difference does it make if there is a mile of water beneath you or 6 feet of it in the local swimming pool ?

It's water. You float, swim, grab onto something in an emergency. There are 100s of life rafts and usually 10 or more tenders each capable of holding over 100 people. The experience would not be pleasant if they had to be used, but they are there nonetheless.

Compare this with an air plane 30,000 feet up in the sky, engines fail and starts plummeting to the ground. Game over. Nothing but an agonising horrific few minutes of turmoil and knowledge that you are going to hit the ground and watch the chair and passenger in front of you be thrust into your body at high speed and there is nothing, literally nothing you can do to prevent it. No escape capsules, no parachutes, nothing but certain death.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
This starts to sound like you are afraid of water. What difference does it make if there is a mile of water beneath you or 6 feet of it in the local swimming pool ?

It's water. You float, swim, grab onto something in an emergency. There are 100s of life rafts and usually 10 or more tenders each capable of holding over 100 people. The experience would not be pleasant if they had to be used, but they are there nonetheless.

Compare this with an air plane 30,000 feet up in the sky, engines fail and starts plummeting to the ground. Game over. Nothing but an agonising horrific few minutes of turmoil and knowledge that you are going to hit the ground and watch the chair and passenger in front of you be thrust into your body at high speed and there is nothing, literally nothing you can do to prevent it. No escape capsules, no parachutes, nothing but certain death.
Sounds great to me, no problem that is the way to go.

Better that being in the dead of night on a rough sea trapped inside a ship which is very unstable due to its height and construction. Pitch black and rolling over at a alarming rate with people screaming in the dark trying to stampede from 1200 cabins while the water rushes in.
Both my Father and Step Father were killed in a similar fashion and they loved the sea.

Go to Bognor, no Eastbourne
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 01:42 PM

Better that being in the dead of night on a rough sea trapped inside a ship which is very unstable due to its height and construction.
These comments expose your ignorance of cruising. Why you fill your head with false preconceptions instead of experiencing the truth is beyond me.

Cruise ships are incredibly stable, even the huge tower block ships of recent years. I've sailed in a vast array of conditions including force 11-12 winds and large swells. There is nothing "unstable" about cruise ships. Of course they move on the waves like any ship, rolling side to side sometimes, pitching back and forth but the motion is slow and wallowing not frantic tossing about. The ships are designed and built to sail in such conditions.

Pitch black and rolling over at a alarming rate with people screaming in the dark trying to stampede from 1200 cabins while the water rushes in.
This is again nonsense imo and is the kind of image you would have gotten from watching WWII movies of destroyers and submarines. It would take ages for a cruise ship to sink if it hit something and developed a hole in the hull. The ships have massive ballast tanks of water at the bottom which the captain can pump from one side to another to keep the ship level. They use these in high winds if the force of the wind from one side makes the ship list slightly.

Long before the ship came anywhere near sinking, passengers would have experienced a constant list to one side and they would have at that point gotten themselves ready for a possible exit (unless they are clueless dolts).

A recent case in point was the Costa Concordia "disaster". I say disaster in quotes because, imo, it was a clear setup of some kind. The Concordia got too close to a coast line and hit a rock which punctured the hull.

As I mentioned above, that didn't mean the ship immediately sank with passengers running in panic. In fact the ship (bizarrely) then changed course and sailed away out to sea for an hour with water flooding into the affected compartment below and then sailed back towards the coast again. During this odd diversion the ship began listing and it should have been obvious to passengers that something was wrong.

On the understanding that the entire event is sensitive I will state this now, no-one, but no-one needed to have died on that ship. The very moment it struck the rock and water began to flood in, the captain should have sounded the alarm, got passengers to their muster stations, lowered the tenders and life rafts and got everyone off. The entire process could have been done simply and calmly with no panic at all. Everyone would have walked away and the ship might even have been saved.

Instead, the captain sailed the ship away to sea for an hour before then turning back. A highly suspicious action which convinces me that something deliberate was going on that day but of course we will never get to the bottom of it.

The point overall is that a modern cruise ship would take ages to sink unless it was purposely torpedoed or blown up. It would start to list long before sinking and passengers would be prepped, have their life jackets on and decent clothing and be ready to take to the life boats. The SOS call would have gone out ages before the ship sank. So on balance, I have no worries on this score.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I refer you back to post 6 when asked if I would recommend them. hence my postings.
No one asked for the anti cruise brigand to butt in or even trying to persuade them to try going on a cruise.

If read properly all I have done is talking about my cruise experience
I wasn't having a go at you, realspeed, and yes, I can see that a certain few posts were unpleasant and provocative. It would be far better if the cruisers and those not inspired by cruising could just agree to disagree.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I wasn't having a go at you, realspeed, and yes, I can see that a certain few posts were unpleasant and provocative. It would be far better if the cruisers and those not inspired by cruising could just agree to disagree.
Duke is being disagreeable in another thread. I think there has been a good deal of restraint by members
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Duke is being disagreeable in another thread. I think there has been a good deal of restraint by members
Shame you are not even good at being a retread. Boring and boorish as always.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

11-05-2016, 05:34 PM

These comments expose your ignorance of cruising. Why you fill your head with false preconceptions instead of experiencing the truth is beyond me.

Cruise ships are incredibly stable, even the huge tower block ships of recent years. I've sailed in a vast array of conditions including force 11-12 winds and large swells. There is nothing "unstable" about cruise ships. Of course they move on the waves like any ship, rolling side to side sometimes, pitching back and forth but the motion is slow and wallowing not frantic tossing about. The ships are designed and built to sail in such conditions.

This is again nonsense imo and is the kind of image you would have gotten from watching WWII movies of destroyers and submarines. It would take ages for a cruise ship to sink if it hit something and developed a hole in the hull. The ships have massive ballast tanks of water at the bottom which the captain can pump from one side to another to keep the ship level. They use these in high winds if the force of the wind from one side makes the ship list slightly.

Long before the ship came anywhere near sinking, passengers would have experienced a constant list to one side and they would have at that point gotten themselves ready for a possible exit (unless they are clueless dolts).

A recent case in point was the Costa Concordia "disaster". I say disaster in quotes because, imo, it was a clear setup of some kind. The Concordia got too close to a coast line and hit a rock which punctured the hull.

As I mentioned above, that didn't mean the ship immediately sank with passengers running in panic. In fact the ship (bizarrely) then changed course and sailed away out to sea for an hour with water flooding into the affected compartment below and then sailed back towards the coast again. During this odd diversion the ship began listing and it should have been obvious to passengers that something was wrong.

On the understanding that the entire event is sensitive I will state this now, no-one, but no-one needed to have died on that ship. The very moment it struck the rock and water began to flood in, the captain should have sounded the alarm, got passengers to their muster stations, lowered the tenders and life rafts and got everyone off. The entire process could have been done simply and calmly with no panic at all. Everyone would have walked away and the ship might even have been saved.

Instead, the captain sailed the ship away to sea for an hour before then turning back. A highly suspicious action which convinces me that something deliberate was going on that day but of course we will never get to the bottom of it.

The point overall is that a modern cruise ship would take ages to sink unless it was purposely torpedoed or blown up. It would start to list long before sinking and passengers would be prepped, have their life jackets on and decent clothing and be ready to take to the life boats. The SOS call would have gone out ages before the ship sank. So on balance, I have no worries on this score.
I am not the expert, seems you are. I put the link on by the experts but guess you know more than the experts and never read such stuff, which is fine as I will not be on one of the things.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2012/03...sly-top-heavy/

Dream on that they are not in the sights of the suicide bombers, then we will see the truth about how long they take to keel over.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2016, 05:53 PM

Shame you are not even good at being a retread. Boring and boorish as always.
Not sure what a retread is. Say it a lot don't you. I don't feel the need to suck up to you. You are just trying to wreck threads and definately have a chip on your shoulder like one member has already told you. Wonder why you got banned before.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

12-05-2016, 09:47 AM

Long before the ship came anywhere near sinking, passengers would have experienced a constant list to one side and they would have at that point gotten themselves ready for a possible exit (unless they are clueless dolts]
Oh more clueless dolts and ignorant people in your life.

Yes drop the old life rafts down in the middle of a pitch black night and all will be save. Do you recon you have the correct name?

And if you want to talk WW2 ships as you posted, even the "Bismark" still floated after being hit by thousands of shells and was finally scuttled by the crew.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Cruising is still my idea of a holiday in hell, but to each his own. I'm sure you will enjoy it as it's what you want.
I've been to a lot of the places mentioned in this thread without having to go on a cruise, so no need for me to start now
I did sail from Sydney to the UK in 1968 by ship and whilst I enjoyed the days we were stopped in port the 10 days across the Indian Ocean and similar time up the African Atlantic coast was hell. Thank gawd for plenty of drugs and cheap booze. The ocean looks exactly the same in the middle as it does at the edges so I would rather look at it from land.

Much against my better judgement I am booked on a cruise in November with my family, grandkids and their friends (my daughter and her long time friends' "I can't believe I am 30 Cruise")

My son, in an attempt to encourage me, told me how wonderful it will be and that I should look at a video on Youtube to see how great it will be. I watched the video and all it did was confirm my worse fears All that sitting about in the sun. Yuck! That is not going to happen.

The trouble with modern cruising is that they don't have the drugs and cheap booze.

Maybe I will love it. My cabin has a spa and a large balcony at the stern of the ship so I might spend a lot of time there.

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top