Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 08:22 AM

Re: Slow Cooker Soups ( ideas, suggestions or recipes please )

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My favourite home made slow cooker recipe is pork, cider and apple casserole. Simply yummy, but not made it for awhile.

Just looked that soup up online,Jazzi,it sounds scrummy!..that's a definite make for me,..Aysa I haven't made tomato soup in ages,Lidl are always selling off ripe tomatoes cheap,..plus it's one of my favourite soups,
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Just looked that soup up online,Jazzi,it sounds scrummy!..that's a definite make for me,..Aysa I haven't made tomato soup in ages,Lidl are always selling off ripe tomatoes cheap,..plus it's one of my favourite soups,
I buy the packet mix and follow the recipe on the back. Also when I used to work at St Thomas’s hospital the restaurant did a mean pork and apricot casserole. Not a fan of apricots, but it was nice, still.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Can't beat a good home made soup!
I agree.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 03:54 PM

My favourite home made slow cooker recipe is pork, cider and apple casserole. Simply yummy, but not made it for awhile.
Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I have made this soup several times now and its lovely with crusty bread and butter.

Tomato Soup.

2lb ripe tomatoes
1 onion
1 carrot
1 stick celery
2tbs olive oil
2tsp tomato purée
1tsp caster sugar
2 bay leaves
2 pints veg stock
(double cream, to serve.. optional)

Wash toms and cut in to quarters, peel and chop onion, celery and carrot finely. Sweat the veg in the olive oil gently for about 10 minutes. Add the tomato purée, then the toms, S&P, sugar and bay leaves, cover and stew gently for another 10 minutes Add the stock, bring to the boil and then cook on simmer for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and whizz everything, reheat and check seasoning. Use or freeze as necessary.
Thanks Aysa. It sounds really creamy and good.
The only homemade tomato soup I ever made was gazpacho; cold soup and while it was tasty, there’s something very odd about eating cold soup. I think one of the very reasons I like it is that it’s hot and nutritious.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/22...ohns-gazpacho/

Jazzi- Oddly enough earlier this week I had a piece of hot pork roast mixed with potato and baked beans and it was like a thick sweet soup that was really good. I’d definitely consider making a soup that was similar and it kept me full all day long.
Thanks
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 04:26 PM

I buy the packet mix and follow the recipe on the back. Also when I used to work at St Thomas’s hospital the restaurant did a mean pork and apricot casserole. Not a fan of apricots, but it was nice, still.

What packet mix do you buy,Jazzi?..I'd like to get the ingredients tomorrow.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
What packet mix do you buy,Jazzi?..I'd like to get the ingredients tomorrow.
Just a basic pork casserole packet (Schwarz, or a supermarket’s own): and they usually give variation ideas on the back. I just use the following:

A pack of pork pieces
An onion
A cooking apple
A pork casserole packet mix
A can or bottle of cider (I like Blackthorn)
Carrot

Instead of using water as on the packet instructions, measure out the given amount of cider in a jug, add the packet mix and using a fork whisk until mixed in. (You might want to use all the cider, or just add a little water.)

Pour this into the slow cooker.

Peel onion and carrot, add. Peel and slice cooking apple, add.

Then add the pork chunks, make sure everything is covered in the liquid, and let it cook.

Add whatever veg you like, and serve with whatever you like.

Enjoy!!!
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
There are some veggies, but I dont know which, that I have found make my slow cooker veg soup very bitter to the point I threw most of it away. When I first made soup I just thought I needed to just buy lots of veg and just chop it up and turn the SC on and leave it. I think theres more to it than that.

Its learning what veg are sweet and which are bitter and what to add to neutralise the flavours

I find all root veg are sweet, except French turnip ( the wee white things with purple tops ) which are to me anyway, mustardy or radish like

Tinned tomatoes are very bitter - they always need something sweet in there, even a wee teaspoon of sugar if need be

Green peppers are bitter, yet red and yellow are sweet

Squashes have no decernable flavour and need a lot of help

You can change the flavours of veg by roasting first

Butter nut squash, cut into chunks ( unpeeled ) roasted with a red onion and red pepper before cooking in stock and liquidising makes a great soup, as do sweet potatoes. I like a bit of cumin

Couple of times of tomatoes with red lentil, chicken stock, coriander and cumin all blended together is heaven

But my all time favourite is leek and potato using half milk and half stock. Pure hugs in a bowl
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

24-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Just a basic pork casserole packet (Schwarz, or a supermarket’s own): and they usually give variation ideas on the back. I just use the following:

A pack of pork pieces
An onion
A cooking apple
A pork casserole packet mix
A can or bottle of cider (I like Blackthorn)
Carrot

Instead of using water as on the packet instructions, measure out the given amount of cider in a jug, add the packet mix and using a fork whisk until mixed in. (You might want to use all the cider, or just add a little water.)

Pour this into the slow cooker.

Peel onion and carrot, add. Peel and slice cooking apple, add.

Then add the pork chunks, make sure everything is covered in the liquid, and let it cook.

Add whatever veg you like, and serve with whatever you like.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks,Jazzi,..the packet mix,probably,not only flavours it,thickens it as well,I have a large slow cooker,so will probably buy a couple of the packet mix,can't wait to make it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

24-11-2018, 11:30 AM

Pauline, check the back of the packet and how much pork is in the recipe, and adjust accordingly.

Hope you enjoy it. The aroma while it’s cooking is fab!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

25-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Pauline, I see you are cooking some pork. Are you doing my recipe, or something different?

I nearly bought some to make this casserole but have enough meals for now, so will make one soon. I love it.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top