Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:00 AM

Is Sugar the bad boy it's made out to be?

Sugar has being getting some bad press recently (I mean the white Granulated stuff) and I must confess to applying one small teaspoonfull in my tea, and a liberal spreading over my porridge in the mornings.

I had been reading about how sugar ends up being a negative addition to the energy levels of the body; i.e. It takes more energy for the body to process it, than the energy received from it.

If this is true, how on earth will you get fat from eating it?

Bearing in mind that unused calories from food will go into storage; or in other words, will be deposited about your person and make you fat!

It certainly makes my porridge tasty!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:04 AM

Re: Is Sugar the bad boy it's made out to be?

It's the hidden sugar IMO, the stuff they add to low fat foods to make it palatable, the corn starch they add to more and more foods.

Where you can see what you add you are unlikely to add 6 - 12 spoons to your drink but when it's hidden by the manufacturer you may well drink that much in one can or glass.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:34 AM

I don't take sugar on anything, only on strawberries! I do think we need a little bit of sugar and I think that's why sometimes, I do crave something sweet......like choccie!!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:43 AM

I buy the unrefined sugar , was told it's better for you as the white is bleached , not sure if that's true .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Bob I think white sugar is bad because it is has practically no nutritional value at all, it is just 'empty calories'. Some unrefined brown sugar has a little nutritional value.

If you want something sweet on porridge a small amount of maple syrup is better , it is rich in minerals and tastes lovely

I prefer nothing but a little milk on my porridge but then the oats I use are full of flavour and don't need it..

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/produc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I confess to having sugar in coffee.

If I must eat something sweet I have dried or fresh fruit they contain lots of nutrients .
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 12:24 PM

I've often watched people put sugar on to cereals such as cornflakes and put more than one spoonful in a cup of tea or coffee. You can wean yourself off sugar. Small amounts of naturally occurring sugars shouldn't hurt like those in fresh and dried fruit. However, fructose is still sugar. Moderation is the key here. But hey, life without a little sweetness would be a miserable affair.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Since being put on a low carb diet I've been trying to wean myself off sugar but without success. I don't have it on cereals but do like a generous spoonful of golden syrup on porridge. I also don't enjoy my tea or coffee without sugar despite trying to cut down for 9 months now. Someone suggested on another thread that I try sweeteners but I bought some and tried them and they're just not the same.

Sugar is just a waste of carbs and when you have to keep under 140g a day it could be the difference between having a slice of cake or not !!
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 01:23 PM

Moderation is key,but the brain craves sugar.It does provide quick energy and burns quickly but too much and the body will store it for use later,If that later comes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 01:45 PM

I have brown sugar - probably no better though
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2015, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I had been reading about how sugar ends up being a negative addition to the energy levels of the body; i.e. It takes more energy for the body to process it, than the energy received from it.

If this is true, how on earth will you get fat from eating it?
Hi OGF !

Your observations are good and so are the questions.

To wonder is to begin to understand

The answers concern how sugar is metabolised and how long the process takes.

When you eat sugar more or less on its own or without any kind of fibre, it is absorbed extremely quickly and sets up the chain of processes where it is converted into glucose, then insulin is released.

When insulin is raised, even slightly, it activates the enzyme LSL, which in turn tells glucose and fatty acids to enter the fat cell where they are joined together to form a triglyceride (fat). This newly formed fat molecule is too big to escape through the fat cells outer membrane. This is why our bodies go into fat storage mode when we eat carbohydrates, it is our bodies way of lowering blood sugar levels so we don't become hyperglycemic

When you eat an apple you are eating the equivalent of 5 teaspoons of sugar, which sounds horrendous, but turns out not to be because the fact that you are eating the whole apple, means you are eating fibre to and that slows down the digestion process giving the body more time to deal with the sugar properly.

When carbohydrates are eaten with a protein, or a fat (also fiber), it slows down how quickly the glucose is converted to blood sugars, this lessens the amount of insulin needed to combat the increase in blood sugar

The quotes above are from the following useful article:

http://www.mynormalweight.com/blog/2...r-metabolized/

The upshot of this for me has been to recognise and understand that I CAN eat sugars that are fond naturally in food provided I eat the whole item as nature created it.

Therefore eating an apple is ok.

Conversely drinking apple juice imo is not ok because the manufacturer has taken away all the fibre and other stuff and left you with just the juice and sugars. Same for orange juice.

Sugar in its raw form (i.e. white refined table sugar) I never touch at all and deem it to effectively be poisonous to my body.

It follows that eating cakes and biscuits is equally bad because again you are not taking in proteins or fibre along with the sugars, tho I confess I still eat some !

This was a complete mind set change for me.

I used to by cartons and tins of simple chopped tomatoes to use in things like pastas and chilli. Then I looked on the packet and saw how many teaspoons of sugars were in there.
The product is processed in some way imo so now I have stopped buying them. Instead I now make my own tomato base sauces very simply by chopping up ENTIRE tomatoes, heating them in a saucepan with a bit of garlic and a few basil leaves thrown in, nothing else. The whole thing quickly breaks down into a nice mush which I then throw into a blender.

The result is a lovely natural healthy tomato base which can then be frozen in portions.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top