Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 02:02 PM

World War III - exercise - Trident useless

Anyone see this which is still available i-player?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...e-the-war-room

Now it is reasonable to say that relations between NATO and Russia are currently at their worst since the Cold War ended. This programme is an exercise in simulating a Cabinet Emergency Committee with senior former political, Civil Service and military people having a discussion of fictional events about a crisis in one of the Balkan States and potential conflict with Russia. The crisis develops in a very plausible way considering recent events in Ukraine but the Balkan states are of course nowadays members of the EU and NATO to further complicate the situation there.

The participants although now participating in a work of fiction have all participated in these emergency planning exercises in the past for real. The committee is accompanied by some crowd drama scenes apparently shot somewhere in the Baltic states with actors from appropriate linguistic groups.

I won't tell you much more about how things develop at present but it shows how utterly irrelevant Trident is to such situations given Britain's reduced place in the world.

One potential flashpoint in that area, which they do mention, is Kaliningrad which is an enclave of Russia between Poland and Lithuania and it is one of Russia's 2 Baltic naval ports, the other being St Petersburg, although it has no land connection to Russia except via those now NATO countries. Look on Google Map and you will see what I mean. This must annoy Putin intensely?

There is a lot to think about after this programme!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 03:02 PM

Re: World War III - exercise - Trident useless

I`m dead but so are you. Meanwhile millions starve. I never did understand the maths of quantum physics and how to make a bang bigger.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 04:54 PM

Hi

It is what it is, a piece of fiction.

Drop a Nuke on London and not get a few back?

Not a scenario I would envisage as realistic, simply because that is using Nukes as a strategic weapon.

Drop a small tactical warhead on a Military target, and yes, I would agree that we would not retaliate, the object of the exercise is to limit escalation, not encourage it.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 05:43 PM

Thanks all. I'm surprised that when the Turks shot down that Russian plane recently there were not more repercussions?
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Thanks all. I'm surprised that when the Turks shot down that Russian plane recently there were not more repercussions?
What do they say?-behind every bully there is a coward?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Hi

I am eternally grateful that Putin did not retaliate like for like, that is just stupid.

What he has done however is bring in a very advanced surface to air missile system to Syria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34976537

This basically gives him air superiority over a large area.

Turkey has been sword rattling again, so a few days ago a Russian Military plane again violated Turkish airspace.

Putin showing Turkey who is the boss.

This time all Erdogan did was rant and rave, little else he could do.

Turkey is routinely violating other Countries airspace, totally hypocritical of them.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

04-02-2016, 07:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFkryh6hC-k

We cannot turn back the past-we can learn for the future.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2016, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am eternally grateful that Putin did not retaliate like for like, that is just stupid.

What he has done however is bring in a very advanced surface to air missile system to Syria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34976537

This basically gives him air superiority over a large area.

Turkey has been sword rattling again, so a few days ago a Russian Military plane again violated Turkish airspace.

Putin showing Turkey who is the boss.

This time all Erdogan did was rant and rave, little else he could do.

Turkey is routinely violating other Countries airspace, totally hypocritical of them.
Amazing how you are privy to all this info, do you share it with Uncle Sam?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

04-02-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Hi

No.

It is just an interest of mine, in the same way UJ posts daily about Politics.

Hardly surprising I have an interest in terrorism and in particular Radical Muslims.

May be you would have as well if you had been seriously injured and had six operations and left permanently in pain because of that and then subsequently attacked by Muslims here in the UK.

Sharing it with Uncle Sam?

That is a joke.

Everything I post is freely available on the Internet and verifiable by more than one source.

I also have a particular interest in WMD's, again not surprising, I have posted previously that I am a relic of the Cold War.

You need to broaden your horizons, Reddit World News is an excellent start.

You never know, you may even post something interesting sometime.
PhilipM
Wales, UK

04-02-2016, 10:51 PM

No I knew the same stuff as swimfeeders - I just read the relevant parts of internet news every day and back that up with looking at the Google Maps of the area ( though they can be several years old ) to get an idea where things are. For the Syria crisis I have seen where the Latakia airbase and the Tartus naval base are which are Russia's most significant sites there, and that helps one understand what is going on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top