Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 02:00 PM

Re: Freeze on benefits yet again

Originally Posted by Realist ->
So let's examine these claims:

Do those jobseekers also get the various benefits that disabled people get? Such as:

Disability Living Allowance for children
Disability Living Allowance for adults
Personal Independence Payment (PIP) (£22 to £141 per week)
Attendence Allowance (£55 to £83 per week)
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Parking benefits (blue badge)
Exemption/reduction of vehicle tax (costs the rest of us £100s)
Motorbility Scheme (cheap car leases, wheelchairs, scooters etc)
VAT Relief from any car changes/adaptions
Various bus/train/taxi schemes (bus passes, railcards etc)
Disabled Facilities Grants (help towards the cost of essential adaptations to your home)
Reduction in Council Tax
Housing Benefit
Income Support
Working Tax Credit
Jobseekers Allowance
Blind Persons Allowance
TV License 50% Discount (for the blind/sight impaired)
No VAT to pay (for any products/goods related to your disability)
No VAT to pay for any products imported (as above)

plus those in specific circumstance also get:

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
Constant Attendance Allowance
Armed forces compensation

WOW that is quite some list of benefits and privileges !

and here I am, reasonably healthy, not working, but not looking for work either, claiming absolutely NO benefits and living on just £350 per month !

As ever all these thing come down to lifestyle choices.

I don't have a silly Smart phone
I don't have a mobile phone contract
I don't have Sky TV
I don't have any other satellite or cable TV
I don't have Netflix or Amazon Prime or any other pay to view service
I don't have any car loans or leases. I buy a car and keep it for years and years. Current car is a 1999 model.
I don't have a mortgage because, through lifestyle choices, I paid it off early.
I don't have any pets to feed and pay vets bills for
I don't need lots of "things" endlessly like new clothes etc
I don't buy pharmaceutical drugs for anything, I use Nature's bounty for health
I don't do doctors or dentists unless for extreme emergency
I don't waste money on takeaways, chinese, indian, KFC etc except for very occasional emergencies
Rarely go out for meals except for special occasions
I buy products in bulk from Makro/Costco etc (toilet paper, canned goods, frozen fish, dishwasher tablets).
I make my own natural washing machine powder using natural soaps and soda crystals
I make my own flours using a grain mill allowing me to buy grains cheaply in bulk and make the most fantastic breads
I make "tumble down" meals such as making large batches of chilli, lasagne sauce, passata, soups and stews and freeze portions.
I make my own fermented vegetables like saurkrauts, super healthy, extremely cheap.

I eat very well indeed, and only drink alcohol occasionally, and have no vices, no drugs, no smoking.

In short . . .

I live within my means and do so very happily.

Why can't everyone else do likewise instead of stupidy chaining themselves to expensive mobile phone tarrifs, monthly Sky/cable subscriptions, and engaging in expensive habits like drinking and smoking?

Now that you've posed the questions, what do you say is the answer to them???
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 02:11 PM

I wasn't posing a question, more pointing out that Longfellows complaining of not being able to get free dentistry was a bit far fetched when there is such a wide range of disability benefits and discounts.

The only question I posed was why don't people just live frugally and within their means?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 02:34 PM

I wasn't posing a question, more pointing out that Longfellows complaining of not being able to get free dentistry was a bit far fetched when there is such a wide range of disability benefits and discounts.

The only question I posed was why don't people just live frugally and within their means?

Errrrmmm - what about this question???

Do those jobseekers also get the various benefits that disabled people get?
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 02:46 PM

It is impossible to live within ones means, if like me, the monthly rent and rates amount to more than one's State Pension.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
It is impossible to live within ones means, if like me, the monthly rent and rates amount to more than one's State Pension.
Hi

That is appalling.

Are you getting everything you are entitled to?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
This is a contradiction in terms
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I agree but Lonfellow does have a point. Why is it that after paying into the system since I was sixteen I can't get NHS dental treatment (there are none in my area), I can't afford to go private. Yet someone on jobseekers or someone who has just been shipped into the country can get it free. My years of paying NI has funded everyone but me it seems.
My husband who has paid in all his life is also having to pay for private treatment it's very difficult to get on to a NHS dentist in this area .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

That is appalling.

Are you getting everything you are entitled to?
I have a small work pension which covers my utilities, landline etc., but food costs I take out of my savings. Unfortunately I am just slightly above the limit for Pension Credit. I do qualify for a Warm Home Discount (£140 pa) through Scottish Power because my annual income is low. I get by and that is all that matters.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My husband who has paid in all his life is also having to pay for private treatment it's very difficult to get on to a NHS dentist in this area .
Here too although I don't really understand why. I thought the NHS dentists just claimed the balance from the government anyway. I might be wrong but that's how I have always understood it. Of course even NHS treatment is not actually free if you are not on benefits.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:44 PM

This is a contradiction in terms
Ha ha........True!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top