Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 10:51 PM

Re: A prelude to more attacks on disabled???

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Hey! What's wrong with sewing mail bags?

I've sewn surgeon's gowns, chimney sweep dust covers and surgical ops cover-my-body sheets.

It pays the bills.
Well for a start we don't really have so much demand for mailbags in these techno advanced times.....re the other stuff - when was this sartorial frenzy? My guess is that these days they don't have "made in GB" on the label!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 10:59 PM

The focus is also upon mental health, and an intention to improve public awareness of it and break down employers attitudes to it .. as in 'not up to the job'.

Well it would be superb if the gov't were truly going to motivate employers to stop being so darn picky when giving out the jobs. However, I fail to see how they are going to do this. Mental health carries a deeply ingrained stigma. People with mental health issues do not do well in interviews compared to those who are just about managing to stay sane.

Many people do not understand the impact of mental illness on those who suffer from one. The fact is that some people would prefer to die of starvation rather than leave the house. It's that terrifying. Impossible to comprehend for an employer who needs to make a profit. What the gov't should do is create work for these people in an environment where they feel safe and are not challenged if they have bad days. That would really benefit the mentally ill because occupation really is the best distraction. Unfortunately that is something that would cost more money than it currently costs for these people not to work.....

Don't hold your breath for anything approaching the altruistic. The idea behind the initiative is to save money without actually having a plan, but it will cost more money when it all comes out in the wash (if you need any examples I suggest you read up on a similar project - brexit)...
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Most disabled people who I know would give an arm and a leg to be back in work ( no pun intended .) What on earth is wrong with helping th genuine disabled back to work, everyone wants to feel they contribute something to our prosperity no matter how limited.
Thats how i see it too ,helping them back into work will give their confidence a boost , and make them feel like they are doing something worth while ..
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Well for a start we don't really have so much demand for mailbags in these techno advanced times.....re the other stuff - when was this sartorial frenzy? My guess is that these days they don't have "made in GB" on the label!
The sartorial frenzy and contortionist ability to sew at ballistic missile speed was in the late 70's , early 80's ... before our own mills closed down and imports killed off own textile industry.

After that I branched out into self enterprise .. prospecting down loos with a toilet brush.

In the context of a thread about disability .. whilst others seem to consider certain work demeaning or not rated as a career, my point was ... a job is a job is a job.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:06 PM

The sartorial frenzy and contortionist ability to sew at ballistic missile speed was in the late 70's , early 80's ... before our own mills closed down and imports killed off own textile industry.

After that I branched out into self enterprise .. prospecting down loos with a toilet brush.

In the context of a thread about disability .. whilst others seem to consider certain work demeaning or not rated as a career, my point was ... a job is a job is a job.
I got your point Mort , I also did a bit of toilet brushing
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Whew thanks Eliza ... don't know why I stuck my neb into this one. I don't usually do political threads but as there's a dearth of them on here right now I wandered in, nose twitching out of curiosity.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

30-11-2017, 11:15 PM

Ah thank you for filling us in.

The thread should really be about mental illness. It's definitely a disability but not seen as such by many (the "pull yourself together" brigade). The trouble is that because the gov't sees that those with mental illness are seemingly healthy they don't deem it a disability.

As I've witnessed the consequences of mental illness on the life of a healthy, intelligent and successful individual I beg to differ with the gov't on their ability to implement this strategy. Those with a severe mental illness can be compared to the most severely ill alzheimer patient or someone in a coma. I'd suggest the gov't go spend a few weeks working with such people in a secure mental health unit and try to see how difficult normal life becomes for people once they have gone through a mental health crisis. Life is never the same again and it's not like having an operation or taking medication really helps those who have a shattered soul.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top