Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Re: This piece of news will give some apoplexy!!!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Yes like the news today that has found poor just get poorer and there is no way to get out of it under a Tory government that is not understood by many too.

Capitalism not good for many.
It's capitalism that greases the wheels and keeps the welfare state going. It's economic climate which often dictates how much affluence is around ... or not.

I never understand labourites who whine over this.
If it were your own household budget and you saw you were getting into debt ( the same as a countries deficit) ... you'd budget tighter because as an individual you get a day of reckoning.
Governments however do not and have the advantage of handing on the debt to the next party who takes power so they can continue to keep juggling all those balls in the air.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Of course the poor will suffer from a 50bn payout 3bn brexit funds bad exchange rate no growth jobs going demand falling etc
Oh damn it .. I don't know why I bother getting involved in these political shindigs. I'll slip this one in and reverse out the thread.

It'll be the taxpayer .. the working man .. who'll shoulder the biggest burden of Brexit. Those a little bit too well off to qualify for any benefit and if moneys tight, instead, prune back their own spending.
Try telling someone on benefits to prune back, buy a swanky TV less or have one less holiday and they go ape.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
This idea of yours that conservatives only exist to "punish" the poor is complete tosh and not backed up by the facts, as the facts relate a different story, with the gap between rich and poor at it's narrowest since 1985, with more people in work, millions taken out of paying tax, and the highest 5% of earners now paying around 27% of the total tax burden.

Just as an aside would be interested to hear of any country or society that has thrived and had their lot improved by a hard left Marxist government. It is well known that Marxism is a failed doctrine that does nothing but impoverish, for example just refer to present Venezuela to see the effects, so you really need to be careful what you wish for....

Total bullsh*t!!! - If you removed those rose tinted spectacles and took your head out of the 'nasty party' propaganda sheets sometime and looked around you you might observe that things are not as the scumbag 'nasty party' would have you believe. Child poverty has been on the increase these past two years as evidenced by a report written by Child Poverty Action Group. Now, in addition to burgoning child poverty there is evidence of poverty amongst pensioners too.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-poverty-study
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Total bullsh*t!!! - If you removed those rose tinted spectacles and took your head out of the 'nasty party' propaganda sheets sometime and looked around you you might observe that things are not as the scumbag 'nasty party' would have you believe. Child poverty has been on the increase these past two years as evidenced by a report written by Child Poverty Action Group. Now, in addition to burgoning child poverty there is evidence of poverty amongst pensioners too.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-poverty-study
Hi

If you look at the report you will see that if things carry on as they are, we will soon be back to the levels of 2006/7.

Who was in power then UJ?

Was it labour by any chance?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

04-12-2017, 11:53 AM

You do spout a load of tosh sometimes UJ.

Okay ... child poverty is on the increase. Poorer pensioners are on the increase. The minimum wage is still appallingly minimal. The housing market is outside the reach of those who ... work .. and can not afford the deposit. Those who do manage the deposit are probably sitting unaware that once interest rates rocket they'll struggle to pay the mortgage they got on very attractive rates.

Why are the most vociferous and militant campaigners for more benefits nearly always in receipt of benefits themselves.

Anyone here who would not like a little more cash in their pocket raise your hand.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

If you look at the report you will see that if things carry on as they are, we will soon be back to the levels of 2006/7.

Who was in power then UJ?

Was it labour by any chance?
Yes that's right, but how about inflation in the interim period, how about the huge increase in housing costs, the cost of living etc, etc.

And incidentally, since we are now going backwards to 2006/7 - who was responsible for the increase in pensions and benefits up to 2010 - could it be that self, same labour party???
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 11:58 AM

I never thought I'd agree with your politics, Joe, but I must now confess that I was wrong.

Things are beginning to look up. The Labour Party are ahead in the polls, thanks to weak Mrs May. Brexit will drag on for years and, in the meantime, Labour will win the next general election without a doubt.

That will signal the end of all this austerity. We shall return to the fold of the EU, our new government will borrow enough money to put everything right and we shall benefit from a time of plenty for years.

Shame about our children and their future, of course, but let's not think too far ahead. It's not good for us.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Oh damn it .. I don't know why I bother getting involved in these political shindigs. I'll slip this one in and reverse out the thread.

It'll be the taxpayer .. the working man .. who'll shoulder the biggest burden of Brexit. Those a little bit too well off to qualify for any benefit and if moneys tight, instead, prune back their own spending.
Try telling someone on benefits to prune back, buy a swanky TV less or have one less holiday and they go ape.
The entire economy will shoulder the burden. If money is tight for the well off there are fewer jobs for the less wealthy and businesses fold as demand nosedives and the economy contracts. This leaves no money for the poorest in society as what's there is needed to provide the bare minimum to keep infrastructure going. We can't just keep borrowing. That will devalue the pound even more. It's total suicide for the economy. But will particularly hurt the worse off.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 12:30 PM

I think the ones getting apoplexy should be moderate Labour members as their party is being taken over by the left wing loonies , this takeover could see Labour out of power for years to come..

This is Labour’s greatest crisis. Time to fight back
The party risks making itself unelectable if the far left is allowed to take control
he Labour party faces the greatest crisis in its history. Momentum – a party within the party which is dedicated to moving Labour to the far left of the political spectrum – is on the point of winning control of Labour’s policy, programme and constitution. Momentum members and supporters – 844 of the 1,135 delegates – dominated this year’s annual conference and it seems likely that elections, now taking place, will provide a clear Momentum majority on Labour’s national executive.

Momentum does not disguise how it will use the power which domination of the party machine guarantees. The shift to the left will begin with a revision of Labour rules and continue with the replacement of moderate MPs and councillors with Momentum nominees. The threat to Labour’s future is real and obvious. Yet, not one of those who resigned from the shadow cabinet in protest against Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, has publicly condemned what amounts to a takeover
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-jeremy-corbyn
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
You do spout a load of tosh sometimes UJ.

Okay ... child poverty is on the increase. Poorer pensioners are on the increase. The minimum wage is still appallingly minimal. The housing market is outside the reach of those who ... work .. and can not afford the deposit. Those who do manage the deposit are probably sitting unaware that once interest rates rocket they'll struggle to pay the mortgage they got on very attractive rates.

Why are the most vociferous and militant campaigners for more benefits nearly always in receipt of benefits themselves.

Anyone here who would not like a little more cash in their pocket raise your hand.
I have more than enough to live on at the moment and do not receive any benefits but I am totally opposed to virtually everything this appalling, incompetent government does that adversely affects the poor while benefitting the rich. Not only do they not care in the slightest bit what happens to those least able to fend for themselves in neoliberal, Social Darwinism Land, they add insult to injury by renaming the inadequate Minimum Wage as the Living Wage as if a rebrand makes it acceptable - in what fantasyland is that even slightly justified???
As to the latest opinion poll, I have been waiting for the pendulum to swing. Whether or not this is the moment, only time will tell but if it is, prepare for the most vicious, negative, dishonest campaign by the Tories and their tax avoiding chums who own the Right wing propaganda sheets that the coutnry has ever seen.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top