Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 02:44 AM

Re: World gone mad!!

Originally Posted by big ben ->
So now we hear that the words "Ladies and Gentlemen please be seated" are no longer to be used at theatres for fear of offending transgender customers.
Has this world gone completely mad?
So what? Will it make the slightest bit of difference to your life or the way you live it? It certainly won't make any difference to me. The sun will still come up in the morning the world will still carry on as before but it might make someone feel more included.

Absurd complaints about this type of thing remind me of the permanently outraged character from Kenny Everett except without the comedy.

The change of announcement make no difference to you whatsoever so don't worry, calm down and have a beer you'll feel all the better for it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:23 AM

It sounds like time to Boycott the Theatre then.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 07:28 AM

How times change, folks used to revel in being fringe, now, everyone wants to be mainstream.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Male and female are "binary" genders.

As I understand it there is also "transgender" or "non-binary" which is neither sex. This could be bigender or trigender, genderfluid or genderfree, genderqueer.

Faced with such complexity it's easier for a theatre to just change the wording so the show can go on.
Are you suggesting that our birth certificates tell lies or is it that these " different people" just want to make a fuss because they are different?

Maybe we should all be checked every 10 years to see if our gender has changed so they can alter our birth certificates?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

05-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Are you suggesting that our birth certificates tell lies or is it that these " different people" just want to make a fuss because they are different?

Maybe we should all be checked every 10 years to see if our gender has changed so they can alter our birth certificates?
Yep, Birth Certificates ain't worth the paper they're Printed On.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Why should the majority always have to bow to the idiosyncrasies of the minority?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Instead of "Ladies and Gentlemen" why not "Oi! You lot, shut your gobs and sit your backside on the seats, the show is just about to start"
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 09:28 AM

No big deal to me.
It would make no difference to me whether the theatre called the audience “Ladies & Gentlemen” or if they announced “Audience, please be seated”

I go to the theatre a lot and I couldn’t tell you whether they even have an announcement at the beginning of the performance. I usually listen for the warning bells that are sounded in all areas of the building to let you know when it’s time to make your way to the auditorium and take or resume your seat.

I don’t understand why folk get so agitated when organisations decide to use more inclusive language. If this change of announcement hadn’t been reported in the press, I bet most people wouldn’t even notice they had changed the wording of the announcements when they attended the theatre.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:05 AM

The law provides the right for both men and women to vote. I don't recall any amendment to allow those who don't wish to be classified in such terms to also vote.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
No big deal to me.
It would make no difference to me whether the theatre called the audience “Ladies & Gentlemen” or if they announced “Audience, please be seated”

I go to the theatre a lot and I couldn’t tell you whether they even have an announcement at the beginning of the performance. I usually listen for the warning bells that are sounded in all areas of the building to let you know when it’s time to make your way to the auditorium and take or resume your seat.

I don’t understand why folk get so agitated when organisations decide to use more inclusive language. If this change of announcement hadn’t been reported in the press, I bet most people wouldn’t even notice they had changed the wording of the announcements when they attended the theatre.
Good post Boot. 'The pen is mightier than the sword'
Must have been a slow news day.....

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top