Join for free
Page 18 of 33 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 01:03 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

I received this email this morning.
I have not had Norton for donkeys' years and I certainly don't have it now.

Needless to say, if I were to press 'renew now' I'd find myself with a new installation of the horrible software, or possibly even worse, some sort of virus invited into my computer.

I assume that some people who do have Norton installed may be conned into downloading whatever it is behind that button.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	14758  
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Needless to say, if I were to press 'renew now' I'd find myself with a new installation of the horrible software, or possibly even worse, some sort of virus invited into my computer.

I assume that some people who do have Norton installed may be conned into downloading whatever it is behind that button.
Well said, JBR! Very likely a con!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 04:07 PM

Here is another one.
https://marriageallowancecheck.net/P...caAnzDEALw_wcB

I'm not too sure about this. It doesn't look exactly like a scam, but on the other hand surely if we're talking about a refund from the Tax Man I would have expected a page from the HMRC web site.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 04:13 PM

Here is another one.
https://marriageallowancecheck.net/P...caAnzDEALw_wcB

I'm not too sure about this. It doesn't look exactly like a scam, but on the other hand surely if we're talking about a refund from the Tax Man I would have expected a page from the HMRC web site.
Surely this can be checked by Googling "marriage allowance" and then clicking on the .gov result. Here's the very link: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance. Neither of us qualify because we both pay income tax.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-02-2021, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Surely this can be checked by Googling "marriage allowance" and then clicking on the .gov result. Here's the very link: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance. Neither of us qualify because we both pay income tax.
Thank you. Yes, I have seen that.
However, there is nothing on there like the invitation from the other site I provided. Here, someone is offering to obtain a refund of a distinct figure.

This may be perfectly legal, but I wonder who would do that for no gain to themselves. In short, I suspect that after having provided our full details to them, they might then say that this can only be done if we agree to them receiving a proportion of the refund for themselves! I'm sure we've all seen things like that before.

In any event, having looked at some of the figures, I have a feeling that Marge and I would not qualify.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 04:33 PM

JBR - your link reminds me of one for those PPI claims companies. Could it be, they're trying to find another source of income now that the PPI claims lake has dried up?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-02-2021, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
JBR - your link reminds me of one for those PPI claims companies. Could it be, they're trying to find another source of income now that the PPI claims lake has dried up?
Exactly!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 11:06 PM

Recorded Phone calls coming through now allegedly from Amazon about “ payment to your prime account ” .I got one today .
Actually I cancelled that in January and have the email confirmation so I rang Amazon reporting it .
Yes it’s a scam alright . Agent concerned I might have given details .Of course I hadn’t.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 11:19 PM

So glad you said about this one, JBR, because for the last week or so I have had these emails daily, sometimes twice a day. It was the gobble-de-gook senders email address that gave it away though.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-02-2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So glad you said about this one, JBR, because for the last week or so I have had these emails daily, sometimes twice a day. It was the gobble-de-gook senders email address that gave it away though.
You're very welcome, Mups.

Page 18 of 33 « First < 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top