Join for free
Page 30 of 33 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2021, 09:58 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Had one today on my mobile phone pretending to be from ParcelForce saying that they was unable to deliver a parcel and that I was to click on a link (touch link with my finger) to have it re-delivered. Firstly i was not expecting any parcels from ParcelForce, secondly ParcelForce always put a card through the door if they can't deliver a parcel, thirdly the web address in the link was not a proper parcelforce web address and most importantly, ParcelForce have no idea who I am thus how do they know to text message me.
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 11:53 AM

Just had a telephone call from Visa with a recorded message telling me that somebody had made an illegal transaction of £900 on my card.

No other details.

If it wasn't me then press 1 to cancel the transaction.

The telephone no: they rang from is 01235 512 710

It's a scam.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2021, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Just had a telephone call from Visa with a recorded message telling me that somebody had made an illegal transaction of £900 on my card.

No other details.

If it wasn't me then press 1 to cancel the transaction.

The telephone no: they rang from is 01235 512 710

It's a scam.
They always seem to say "press 1", which I think is a bit of a giveaway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 03:36 PM

Here's another one from my Neighbourhood Alert people this morning:

We have been made aware of a Covid Vaccine Passport scam email going around that purports to be from the NHS and informs recipients that they can apply for their “Digital Coronavirus Passports”

Clicking on the link within the email, takes you to a convincing but fake NHS website that asks for personal and payment details. (for an admin fee)

The website has since been taken down, but in case similar emails/websites appear can you please circulate the attached alert to your residents, members, groups and mailing lists.

And just to reiterate, your vaccination status is obtained FREE through the NHS App, website or by calling the NHS on 119.

More information can be found on the gov.uk website;
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/demonstr...velling-abroad

Please note that any Phishing scams can be reported to SERS (Suspicious Email Reporting Service): report@phishing.gov.uk
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 04:13 PM

Good One, Mups!

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure this is a scam or not. This morning I answered our landline phone and listened to a recorded message supposedly from BT telling me that there was a text message waiting for me and to press 1.

Now, in the past, I've sent text messages to our SKY landline and the call HAS come through BT's text service but we haven't been asked to press 1. Suspecting it might be a scam, I didn't press 1 and hung up.

Since then I've learned that an ex-colleague has passed away suddenly (late diagnosed pancreatic cancer) and now I'm wondering if that call was actually genuine. I can't do 1471 because we've had a number of calls since I answered the one from "BT".
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 03:54 PM

I would be doubtful too, Percy...all you had to do was listen to the text message - what other options could there have been for you to have to press 1? Sorry about your colleague though. You know now, and that's what matters.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'm not sure this is a scam or not. This morning I answered our landline phone and listened to a recorded message supposedly from BT telling me that there was a text message waiting for me and to press 1.

Now, in the past, I've sent text messages to our SKY landline and the call HAS come through BT's text service but we haven't been asked to press 1. Suspecting it might be a scam, I didn't press 1 and hung up.

Since then I've learned that an ex-colleague has passed away suddenly (late diagnosed pancreatic cancer) and now I'm wondering if that call was actually genuine. I can't do 1471 because we've had a number of calls since I answered the one from "BT".
In my opinion I think you did the right thing.
To me, "press 1" is an immediate warning sign and I'm sure that must be pretty common knowledge by now, so who in their right mind would ask you to "press 1" to receive a message.

On top of that, if it was a genuine message, the sender would almost certainly have tried to get in touch with you in an alternative way since then.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 05:05 PM

On Saturday I received a text purporting to be from Royal Mail. It stated that a parcel required a payment of £2.99 before it could be delivered. There was a link with the message. No parcel was expected from anyone, the only parcel recently was successfully delivered by UPS. The Royal Mail message was obviously a scam so was blocked to prevent further attempts.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:39 PM

Delivery text scams and how to deal with them

"If you have a habit of ordering stuff online, you're probably no stranger to a "your parcel has been delivered" text.

That's why they're a good way for scammers to hook unsuspecting people in.

Three in five of us have had fake delivery company texts over the past year, according to new figures from consumer group, Which?.

The messages often contain a link that brings you to a scam website."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57654967

Page 30 of 33 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 32 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top