Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 01:58 PM

New Scottish Poll shows Majority want Independence.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18...ew-poll-shows/

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/13...os-mori-latest

FGS, if the Scottish people want their independence, let them! If they wish to rejoin the EU as an independent nation, let them!

I don't envy them at all. They will quickly see how much money they will have left in their coffers after forking out for newly built (how many) border control locations that they will have to build and man, ( we certainly don't want their freedom of movement illegal immigrants, thankyou). Better get building all those homes for every Tom, Dick and Ahmed they will be ordered to house on their beautiful open land too, and don't forget, once independent, they will be treated exactly the same as any other EU country by England. No more being partially supported by the English, Welsh and N.I. taxpayers.

So,by all means, let them stand on their own two feet without the Barnet subsidy and the Pound. With just those two gone it will surely be a case of 'pull your belt in taxpayers' and make your own money!
Let them look after their own economy, Health service, education and taxes.
Oh, and don't leave your passports at home!

I seriously wish them luck with knowing the above, the cost and still wanting to go it alone.I wish them nothing but well. Its the same for Wales and N.Ireland, Let them have their independence if the majority of its people so wish. Let England too stand on its own without interference from ungrateful union nations.
Why should any country in the Union be held against their will when they believe they would do better being independent? Good luck I say.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:01 PM

Re: New Scottish Poll shows Majority want Independence.

Let 'em have it and we'll spend the savings on those who will appreciate it .....
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:26 PM

I hate to disappoint you, but I think the majority of those who vote in such polls belong to the hopeful leavers who still can't understand what a "once in a lifetime" referendum actually meant. I also hope and believe the silent majoriy still realise the value of the union (including the financial benefits of it) and will vote to remain if and when called upon to do so.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:35 PM

I see 1000 people in Scotland were asked if they should have another referendum.... were they are in Glasgow and the Express seems to have missed out what the question was.

Not all the SNP want independence for Scotland, in fact over the past 6 months of COVID, the Scots are seeing first hand how p1ss poor the SNP have been in handling the pandemic, Scottish NHS, education and the Scottish economy. They have the highest R rate in the country and most of their COVID funding is coming from Westminster.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I see 1000 people in Scotland were asked if they should have another referendum.... were they are in Glasgow and the Express seems to have missed out what the question was.

Not all the SNP want independence for Scotland, in fact over the past 6 months of COVID, the Scots are seeing first hand how p1ss poor the SNP have been in handling the pandemic, Scottish NHS, education and the Scottish economy. They have the highest R rate in the country and most of their COVID funding is coming from Westminster.
I wish there was a referendum held in England on independence for Scotland and. I suspect the majority would vote in favour.. I CERTAINLY would. A total hard cold independence with a hard physical border in place.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 02:59 PM

I wish there was a referendum held in England on independence for Scotland and. I suspect the majority would vote in favour.. I CERTAINLY would. A total hard cold independence with a hard physical border in place.

Although I wouldn't like to see the Union break up, I can understand where you are coming from. If I lived down south I would be questioning why we Scots can get free prescriptions and our students who attend universities here in Scotland do not pay tuition fees.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 03:11 PM

I will pop up my head (complete with prettily decorated flower covered helmet) above the trench and state that I personally think it would be economic suicide for Scotland to become independent.

Oy! stop firing those rifles at me Scotsmen and women, all I am saying is that you may well (rightly so) dream of being a wealthy independent nation once again, after all, who better than us to know that same feeling after almost 5 agonising years, but you have so much going against you.

For starters,Just on fishing alone.

Yes, you may well have 60% of the richest fishing waters in the UK, and yes, you may well believe that by rejoining the EU you genuinely believe it will give you the power to take a driving role in reform of the CFP, as well as a desire in negotiating annual fishing opportunities within the CFP.

I'm afraid you would be sadly disappointed. As we know to our cost, NO-ONE tells the EU what is what when it comes to anything and everything, never mind fishing quota allocation. Once you are in, you and what is yours no longer belong to you as much as you believe it is. You will abide by THEIR rules, and that includes fishing quotas.

As Private James Frazer from Dad's Army would say...

We're Dooooooomed!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland

14-10-2020, 03:14 PM

I would be very surprised indeed if the EU would be interested in an independent Scotland, nor do I believe the majority of Scots would wish to re-join the EU with all it would entail.
Amac
North East of Scotland
Amac is male  Amac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 03:15 PM

Nationalism is a curse whether it’s Scottish, English or American and the last thing we need with all the problems we have on this planet. Those of you anxious to see the back of us Scots should consider the successes of the Union over the past 300 years, not the least of which was successfully defeating those most extreme Nationalists, the Nazis.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2020, 03:15 PM

No national health service for a start, no education financial help, no submarine base, no housing benefit let alone unemployment benefits or another from England. Yes let Scotland go independent. No Scottish MPs in the house of commons. Just to name a few things the English won't have support

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top