Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 06:10 PM

Re: Weighing machine

I have an electronic weighing scales and it’s rubbish. It lulls you into a false sense of security, then pulls the rug on you!

If l ever buy another one, l will go back to a good mechanical one, say something like they have at the doctors.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I have an electronic weighing scales and it’s rubbish. It lulls you into a false sense of security, then pulls the rug on you!

If l ever buy another one, l will go back to a good mechanical one, say something like they have at the doctors.
Like they use with SI units!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 10:47 PM

I know we all have to watch our 'size' but I think watching our 'weight' is bull.

When I was younger I was 10st or slightly less. Now I'm older I'm 8st 12lbs.
I was 5'5", now I'm approx 5' 4".

At 10st I was a leaner version of my body now. Now I have flab now around my middle - which they tell us is important health wise.

According to the 'weight chart' my 8st 12lb is 'normal' for my height.
Having osteoporosis presumably gives me hollow bones which gives a lower weight, but that isn't in their charts. And, neither is the flab around my middle in the charts - which is supposedly the important bit.

At the other end of the scale () people can weigh heavy on the scales and be classed as 'over weight' on the chart, when in actual fact they are the perfect 'size' in body measurements, toned and fit.

I personally would look towards how clothes fit and any changing body measurements rather than what a set of scales tells me.

BTW JB, I've had my old mechanical Salter scales for gawd knows how many years and when I have to be weighed in the hospital their digi scales or the old slide across thingy scales (don't know what they're called) give the same reading as mine do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
BTW JB, I've had my old mechanical Salter scales for gawd knows how many years and when I have to be weighed in the hospital their digi scales or the old slide across thingy scales (don't know what they're called) give the same reading as mine do.
Yes, I think that must be the answer for our next scales.

Ideally, I'd like a professional 'balance-type' of weighing scales. I can't see anything to go wrong there as the counterweights can't physically lose any mass and simple beams can't easily bend or distort.

However, I think they'd be too expensive especially as we're only interested in our weight changes (or not), so we'll probably go for good quality mechanical spring weighing scales.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Can I make a suggestion over and above Megs' one about putting scales on a solid foundation?

Take your scales to your local weighs and measures people and get them checked with their set of standard weights. Once you know the difference between their weights and what your scales are reading, you can apply this difference to your own weight when weighing yourself.

However, IMHO, the best scales to use are the old fashioned beam and weight scales like they use for boxing match weigh-ins.
Percy the other thing to do is to go Boots Chemist and weigh yourself on their big scales which are regularly calibrated then go home and weigh yourself on your own scales wearing exactly the same things
to get an accurate measurement.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2020, 11:38 PM

We have had a Taylor digital bathroom scales for many years. I think it is still accurate. I have an old 56lb weight in the garage which I use to test it from time to time
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 01:47 AM

I was advised to weigh every day when I was diagnosed with heart failure.
This was to check if I was retaining fluid, and a sudden increase in weight was much more important (and life threatening) than my actual weight.

My weight has always fluctuated for as long as I can remember by 1 -1.5kg on a day to day basis, so an increasing trend is a better indication of fluid retention for me than a single increase in weight.

As far as weighing devices are concerned, their readings always drift. They should be recalibrated on a regular basis, but domestic products never are.
It doesn't matter whether they are scales, thermometers, or tyre pressure gauges, they all change over time, irrespective of whether they are electronic or mechanical devices.

Scales in particular need a fixed stable base upon which to sit. A hard solid floor is best. Hollow floors such as floorboards with a covering are the worst.
They also need consistency. Moving scales even by a small amount will give a different reading.

That may not of course be the reason here. However, if one person's weight has increased but not the other, then it would suggest that person's weight has indeed increased.
If both person's weight has increased by roughly the same amount, then it would suggest there is a problem with the weighing machine.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Two days ago when I got up, I weighed 12 stones 7 pounds.
That has been my approximate weight for many months now.

Yesterday morning, I suddenly weighed 12 stones 10 pounds.

How do you put on 3 pounds in one day without eating (and, sorry for this, pooing) any differently?

Marge also found that she had put on 2 pounds overnight.

Everything pointed to the obvious culprit, the weighing machine. It is a decent make (Salter) and only a couple of years old. I decided to change the batteries.

With new batteries, I had dropped to 12 stones 8.6 pounds, and that was within half-an-hour.

Today I weigh 12 stones 8.8 pounds.

Time for a new weighing machine?
Or will the new one be similarly inaccurate?

I bought a new weighing machine this year, a weight watchers,from Sainsbury’s,how accurate it is,I have no idea...I accidentally mislaid it onto the floor and the o.o symbol came up.i stood on it and weighed 10 stone 1 lb.....no way was I that....so I gently put it down,waited for the symbol to come on,then I stood on it.....it then registered 9stone 7 lbs...I weigh myself x 2 a day.....morning/ evening..I always weigh more at night,which stands to reason really.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I always weigh more at night,which stands to reason really.
Presumably the Lord removes the burden of your sins overnight and you add to them during the day
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 01:03 PM

I weigh myself morning and night. I am usually 2lbs lighter in the morning.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top