Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2020, 11:43 PM

Re: Weighing machine

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Or yours. After all, as you know, the metric system was originally intended to be defined in terms of distances from the pole to the equator. Since time was also defined in terms of 1 rev of the earth, which will also have a distance, then time and weight could be viewed as synonymous. Ie, 1kg being the weight of water in a cube of side x seconds of equatorial travel.
Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I know all of that.
I didn't.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 02:04 AM

With regard to the bathroom scales....I currently have a Galileo room thermometer in my lounge, which works on the principle that fluids have different densities at different temperatures. We also know that electrickery is affected by humidity.

Since (AFAIK) electronic scales work on the principle that applying pressure to whatever it is that they use in the sensor changes the electrical resistance, so that the scales that you read are in effect a calibrated ohmmeter, then I wonder if a combination of ambient temperature and humidity has an adverse effect on matters, which would be less prevalent in the other types of mechanical based scales.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I'm the very opposite. I lose 0.907 kg overnight.
Are yours salter scales too?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Are yours salter scales too?
No they are Taylor scales.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 11:40 AM

Perhaps salter is in cahoots with the government to encourage us to lose weight!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
With regard to the bathroom scales....I currently have a Galileo room thermometer in my lounge, which works on the principle that fluids have different densities at different temperatures. We also know that electrickery is affected by humidity.

Since (AFAIK) electronic scales work on the principle that applying pressure to whatever it is that they use in the sensor changes the electrical resistance, so that the scales that you read are in effect a calibrated ohmmeter, then I wonder if a combination of ambient temperature and humidity has an adverse effect on matters, which would be less prevalent in the other types of mechanical based scales.
Yes, a strain gauge is stuck on the side of a narrow piece of aluminium. When the fat person stands on the scales, the aluminium rod is bent to a greater or lesser degree and the strain gauge allows an appropriate level of current to pass.

I know because I made one at college nearly 30 years ago.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-11-2020, 01:55 PM

Oh, you'll never guess what I weighed this morning.

12st 7lb! The same as I've been for months!

I did remove some feet from the scales which I put on when we first got it. They are really intended for use on carpets, but they worked perfectly well on the bathroom tiled floor. I wonder whether one of them had become loose and would have unbalanced the scales. As someone said earlier, it is essential to have the scales on a flat, even surface.

So that's saved me a few quid buying a new one!
As those who know me know, I don't like spending money.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, a strain gauge is stuck on the side of a narrow piece of aluminium. When the fat person stands on the scales, the aluminium rod is bent to a greater or lesser degree and the strain gauge allows an appropriate level of current to pass.

I know because I made on at college nearly 30 years ago.
Excellent.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Oh, you'll never guess what I weighed this morning.

12st 7lb! The same as I've been for months!

I did remove some feet from the scales which I put on when we first got it. They are really intended for use on carpets, but they worked perfectly well on the bathroom tiled floor. I wonder whether one of them had become loose and would have unbalanced the scales. As someone said earlier, it is essential to have the scales on a flat, even surface.

So that's saved me a few quid buying a new one!
As those who know me know, I don't like spending money.

I did too just out of curiosity after all this sitting around.
I was gobsmacked.... 8st 5lb! What! I was 8st 12lbs. WTF have those 7lbs gone!
My blobbies doth protest.
Still, at least I've not shrunk any more, that's one good thing
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2020, 11:29 PM

With new batteries, I had dropped to 12 stones 8.6 pounds, and that was within half-an-hour.

Today I weigh 12 stones 8.8 pounds.

Time for a new weighing machine?
Or will the new one be similarly inaccurate?
Britain went metric when I was at Grammar school so your weighing machine is obviously past its use by date. Definitely get a new one.

Mine tells me when the batteries need changing.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top