Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:24 AM

Re: Intelligence

Fluid - preferable Irish - no ice!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What is Intelligence?
DSM 5 defines intelligence as :-

The general mental capacity that involves reasoning, planning, solving problems, thinking abstractly, comprehending complex ideas, learning efficiently, and learning from experience.

There are all kinds of intelligence. Computational, emotional, spacial etc. In reality it is almost impossible to determine if one individual generally judged to be "normal" is more "intelligent" than another. Some judge intelligence by the amount of material wealth somebody has made. Others by how skillfully they use their language and/ or numeracy and communication skills. Some criminals are highly intelligent. They are usually the ones that don't get caught. Others are just rat cunning. Some judge those who can successfully pursue peace and harmony in their community are seen by some as intelligent. Others see them as naive. A great example is the political extremes. Many far right wing people see the far left as all stupid..and vice versa from the far left. In the final analyis it just all comes down the bell shaped curve..with everything. A Small
percentage of us are frighteningly bright. Another equally small percentage are very intellectually disabled. Most of us fall within one standard deviation of dead centre on the curve. The rest is just a matter of opinion. And we all have that.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 01:27 AM

For a very long time now, I have maintained that everyone is a genius at something, but only a very rare few actually get to be in a position to develop that genius. Eg. There might be millions of people who would be a genius at playing the piano, but circumstances means that only a handful of them get to have access to one, of whom even fewer have the opportunity to develop their prowess.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
For a very long time now, I have maintained that everyone is a genius at something, but only a very rare few actually get to be in a position to develop that genius. Eg. There might be millions of people who would be a genius at playing the piano, but circumstances means that only a handful of them get to have access to one, of whom even fewer have the opportunity to develop their prowess.
Totally agree. Actually I think most of us could play blues guitar like Eric Clapton, Paint like Picasso or play cricket like Bradman. If!..we had the opportunity, the right teacher, the drive and the inclination. I knew a Downs Syndrome kid that could do maths at senior high school level. There are no rules. Just generalised guide paths. Every individual is different.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is it best served Fluid or Crystalized?
I don't know, but I suspect fluid - you were the people who employed Australian Anthony St John Aloysius Crouchback Savonarola Prebendary Abbott as your special trade adviser.

The collective IQ of both countries rose as a result of him moving back to the UK, did it not?
keezoy
Australia

02-12-2020, 04:47 AM

[QUOTE=Bruce;1998758]I don't know, but I suspect fluid - you were the people who employed Australian Anthony St John Aloysius Crouchback Savonarola Prebendary Abbott as your special trade adviser.

The collective IQ of both countries rose as a result of him moving back to the UK, did it not?[/QUOTE

Getting up off the floor to change my pants now Bruce.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:02 AM

Crystallised if its in a cake
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Oh blimey, here we go again with the cryptic posts ...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 07:38 AM

Crystallised, im rubbish at problem solving spitty,
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:00 PM

Fluid every time for me.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top