Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:05 PM

Re: Intelligence

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
A bit of both I reckon. I mean, I love watching The Chase but I need to know how to switch the telly on.
That's me too LD. I often sit there thinking ''come on, surely you know that answer'' on the Chase, but blow me if I can ever work out how to switch the TV on with using two remotes cos of all the different facilities and buttons that have to be pressed. DOH!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
What is Intelligence?
The CIA??
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:02 PM

Actually I do bend toward fluid intelligence from time to time. Usually in the form of a Jack Daniel's with ice or a nice cold Toohey's Old (dark beer)
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
DSM 5 defines intelligence as :-

The general mental capacity that involves reasoning, planning, solving problems, thinking abstractly, comprehending complex ideas, learning efficiently, and learning from experience.

There are all kinds of intelligence. Computational, emotional, spacial etc. In reality it is almost impossible to determine if one individual generally judged to be "normal" is more "intelligent" than another. Some judge intelligence by the amount of material wealth somebody has made. Others by how skillfully they use their language and/ or numeracy and communication skills. Some criminals are highly intelligent. They are usually the ones that don't get caught. Others are just rat cunning. Some judge those who can successfully pursue peace and harmony in their community are seen by some as intelligent. Others see them as naive. A great example is the political extremes. Many far right wing people see the far left as all stupid..and vice versa from the far left. In the final analyis it just all comes down the bell shaped curve..with everything. A Small
percentage of us are frighteningly bright. Another equally small percentage are very intellectually disabled. Most of us fall within one standard deviation of dead centre on the curve. The rest is just a matter of opinion. And we all have that.
Very insightful- thank you!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:11 PM

What about Superficial Intelligence?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What about Superficial Intelligence?
Is that when someone is pretending to be intelligent?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Is that when someone is pretending to be intelligent?
No, that is a pseudo intellectual.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

02-12-2020, 10:24 PM

Superficial Intelligence is not a conscious choice.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2020, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Superficial Intelligence is not a conscious choice.
OK then. Is it when someone appears initially intelligent until challenged to take something further and then they come up short and have no depth to their intelligence?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

02-12-2020, 10:34 PM

It is a natural state, and maybe a state of great happiness.

No pretence.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top