Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:40 AM

Re: A step toward complete democracy?

Penny Mordaunt was brilliant in the commons giving Angela Raynor a good roasting.

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
PR results in something MUCH closer to democracy than FPP could in Westminster.

Whether universal suffrage is a good thing or not is a very different matter. I believe not.
I know what you're going to say.
Women should never have been given the vote?
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Penny Mordaunt, a government minister, has proposed that the House of Lords should be abolished in its present form and become an electable body.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/a...aunt-nhh386jb3

She'd certainly have my vote.
This is something that should have happened at least a hundred years ago as they certainly don't represent us ordinary people in any way. The numbers should also be reduced drastically.
And mine
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 11:55 AM

I know what you're going to say.
Women should never have been given the vote?
No, but I do believe there should be proof that people understand the basics of government and economics before being given the opportunity to have a say.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 12:16 PM

No, but I do believe there should be proof that people understand the basics of government and economics before being given the opportunity to have a say.
Makes sense.

Also, do Americans still have to swear allegiance before they are allowed the vote?

Regardless of whether they do or not, I think it might be a good idea if people had to make certain commitments to the UK before being allowed to have a say in its governance.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 12:16 PM

True. So I assume you're not too happy about the SNP's move to give the vote to 16 year-olds and illegal immigrants then?
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 12:21 PM

True. So I assume you're not too happy about the SNP's move to give the vote to 16 year-olds and illegal immigrants then?

Once Scotland is independent, and I mean TOTALLY independent they can do what the hell they want.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 12:21 PM

Is that correct???

Perhaps the SNP will enlarge its voter catchment area to include anyone from anywhere on the planet if legal citizenship isn't a pre-requisite
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

24-05-2021, 01:24 PM

Once Scotland is independent, and I mean TOTALLY independent they can do what the hell they want.
I agree.

If they ever become independent it will not be long before they are bankrupt, especially if they are run by the SNP.

Even if they should be allowed entry into the EU, they will not be subsidised heavily. That's not what the EU does. It takes what it needs from most of the member states in order to benefit Germany and France.

Fortunately, I believe that there are more sensible Scots in Scotland than the naive 'Bravehearts' who seem convinced that an independent Scotland could afford to live as they do at present without hand-outs from either England or the EU.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2021, 03:11 PM

PR results in something MUCH closer to democracy than FPP could in Westminster.

Whether universal suffrage is a good thing or not is a very different matter. I believe not.
Are you sure about that TAT? In my opinion, PR and AV voting systems only ever result in hung parliaments or coalitions that constantly fall apart usually resulting in the need for another election. You only have to look at Italy's horrendous general election record since 1945 to see that.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top