Join for free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:13 AM

Enid Blyton For the Chop.

Things are really getting unbelievable now, Enid Blyton Racist? Sorry but this really is a step too far in my mind. She has been a favourite of millions of children world wide and I can't remember her ever being racist, can you?
This English Heritage lot need locking up.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:16 AM

Re: Enid Blyton For the Chop.

Oh this is ridiculous! I loved Enid Blyton, and yeah maybe her writing wouldn't get published now because its not "inclusive" and "diverse" enough, but it reflected the times she grew up in, so leave it bloody well alone! Are they going to ban Helen Bannerman too?!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:17 AM

Unbelievable!

Christmas wasn't Christmas without a new Enid Blyton book!

I used to love Enid Blyton books in my childhood days, always got engrossed in them. I saw nothing racist in them at all.

All though, in those days I don't think racism existed in our eyes.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Things are really getting unbelievable now, Enid Blyton Racist? Sorry but this really is a step too far in my mind. She has been a favourite of millions of children world wide and I can't remember her ever being racist, can you?
This English Heritage lot need locking up.
The attitude and views of everybody of that era was "racist" by today's misguided standards. Attitudes have changed for the better -in many ways- since then, but if they go too far there will be a backlash.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
The attitude and views of everybody of that era was "racist" by today's misguided standards. Attitudes have changed for the better -in many ways- since then, but if they go too far there will be a backlash.
Tend to agree. Not keen on them editing words used at the time either. Think youngsters today are far more savvie about the rights and wrongs relating to race issues, and it would be beneficial to leave things alone so they can raise their eyebrows at how things used to be viewed as acceptable.

"Cancelling" things removes the opportunity. Maybe well intentioned, but unfortunately it does more harm than good.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 11:54 AM

There has been a series of books, well loved books, around for over 100 years now. I used to read them AND, They were racist in a way, but I've not heard them mentioned in a while now, I still have some of them, you boys on here will remember them too I'm sure, they were a weekly comic called "The Magnet" about a boys boarding school called Greyfriars, A bunch of boys called "the famous five, and one fat thieving rascal called Bunter. They used to call an indian boy in their class some real racist things but it was all in fun, those books were really funny and I still read them today, I also have audio books of them and you can find the TV Series on youtube. Have they been banned? Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...yfriars+school
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 12:09 PM

and one fat thieving rascal called Bunter.
Presenting a fat child in a negative light would be very much frowned upon these days. Make him a fat, thieving, black child and you're begging for trouble.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

17-06-2021, 12:17 PM

Presenting a fat child in a negative light would be very much frowned upon these days. Make him a fat, thieving, black child and you're begging for trouble.

Yep I know Harbal, but if your fat, your fat, if your a tealeaf then your a tealeaf, and if your black, your black. Facts.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

17-06-2021, 12:38 PM

Yep I know Harbal, but if your fat, your fat, if your a tealeaf then your a tealeaf, and if your black, your black. Facts.
I remember the Billy Bunter TV series from when I was a kid, I used to watch it. Had Bunter been black, I'm not sure it would have been quite the same. We weren't used to that sort of thing in those days.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 12:56 PM

The attitude and views of everybody of that era was "racist" by today's misguided standards. Attitudes have changed for the better -in many ways- since then
Yes, that's now.
What had then was a beloved authoress and we should not be plagiarising the idiots for her classic works

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top