Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 07:13 PM

Re: No till

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I refuse to have a smart phone...

...those who insist on it will lose my custom...
Not quite why would refuse it?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2021, 07:40 PM

If Sainsbury's changed their system they would lose my custom

No way will I change my phone to a smart phone.

LD...... please give me pre warnings if Sainsbury's get that into their head!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 11:04 AM

I use a hand scanner at the moment in Tesco, but most people seem to still be queing at the tills. But like most people on this thread, I only have an old clamshell phone for emergencies and there is no way I will ever own a smartphone.
Tesco will lose a loyal customer if they ever resort to shop and pay by smartphone...
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
It isn't just the elderly who are being left behind - some shops are as well! I went into a bakery in Dawlish today to buy something for lunch, a couple of sausage rolls and a couple of cakes, which I went to pay for with my smart watch. Er no, not only was the shop not geared up for contactless payments, you couldn't even pay by card. Cash only! Well I don't ever carry cash these days, so I had to go elsewhere.

I'm surprised that 'cash only' businesses still exist in this day and age, especially during a pandemic when so many places actually refuse cash for fear of handling it.
When I went to a local shed manufacturer to order my new shed recently, I offered a deposit by card. The girl on reception said they didn't take deposits and they didn't take cards. The business only takes cash or cheques on delivery! Fine by me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When I went to a local shed manufacturer to order my new shed recently, I offered a deposit by card. The girl on reception said they didn't take deposits and they didn't take cards. The business only takes cash or cheques on delivery! Fine by me.
Hi

Here in Shropshire, cash is King.

VAT is known as Voluntary Additional Tax.

I pay cash for everything except in Supermarkets.

As an Ex Government Employee, my pensions are taxed to the hilt.

Life is much simpler and you can stay off the grid.

Yes they know how much cash I take out of the ATM, but have no idea what I spend it on, other than Amazon and Ebay.

It works for me.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:29 PM

So people protest about the vaccine or other issues. Why is nobody protesting about the takeover of high tech ruining our lives by apparently making them easier? This is a major change and will not only affect those too vulnerable to cope with apps and all that nonsense, but also lead to mass redundancies of shop workers.

Plus you have to charge your blinking phone and make sure you have enough memory in order to pay for something! Grrrr! grrr! *angry vibes at march of the bots*
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I use a hand scanner at the moment in Tesco, but most people seem to still be queing at the tills. But like most people on this thread, I only have an old clamshell phone for emergencies and there is no way I will ever own a smartphone.
Tesco will lose a loyal customer if they ever resort to shop and pay by smartphone...
They will all be at it eventually OGF. We won't have a choice because it won't be economical to shop where they have real people. It will become a luxury to have a real person serving you or where you can pay cash. They are trying to do away with cash for years and have used covid as a way to speed that up. I don't like being tracked everywhere it's really intrusive.

Everything we buy will be recorded so they will see if we are suddenly buying for more people or less and it will all be linked to other information about us. It's a way to control our lives and nobody gets upset about such changes or tries to block them.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They will all be at it eventually OGF. We won't have a choice because it won't be economical to shop where they have real people. It will become a luxury to have a real person serving you or where you can pay cash. They are trying to do away with cash for years and have used covid as a way to speed that up. I don't like being tracked everywhere it's really intrusive.

Everything we buy will be recorded so they will see if we are suddenly buying for more people or less and it will all be linked to other information about us. It's a way to control our lives and nobody gets upset about such changes or tries to block them.
Each to there own I guess. Personally, I prefer automated stuff and generally don't like carrying cash around.

Like OGF, I tend to use the hand scanners when available in Asda and Tesco, and use my phone to pay especially since it automatically adds my Tesco points. I really don't care what info this provides them about me.

If I ruled the world, I'd love it if there was a national biometric database so I could just scan my fingerprint or eye at the checkout and it would all be linked to my bank etc. This would obviate the need for me to have to carry a phone or indeed wallet. (There are other obvious benefits of such a database involving security etc, but these are beyond the remit of this thread and tend to get discussed elsewhere).
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 07:09 PM

Slightly OT, I know, but it strikes me that so many of our age group (aged 60-80?) don't want to have a smartphone.
Why this aversion? My MIL is 90 and uses her smartphone every day to keep in touch with her grandchildren via Whatsapp exchanging photos and stuff. Don't you all?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Do not need smartphone, my old mobile phone keeps me in touch.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top