Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 12:16 PM

Government Surveillance

Hi

A spin off from the Matt Hancock and CCTV comments.

Yes Government does use CCTV a lot, yes, it does monitor the Internet and Mobile Phones.

However that is really nothing to what private companies know about you and you agree to that.

Not only do they know more, they also sell it to others.

Got a shop or Clubcard?

They know when you shop, where you shop, how much you spend and what on.

Got Apps on your phone?

Many you agree by default to give your location.

Got a Sat Nav, that records where and when you went anywhere.

All of this you allow freely and have no control on what it is used for.

I find this quite funny, you are giving away far more to private companies than you are to the Government.

The Internet is full of warnings about Government Surveillance and personal freedoms.

There are two main Government Databases.

One is the PNC, the one the Police use, it is monitored like hell and people are regularly sacked for misusing it.

We also have Automatic Number Plate Recognition, this is flagged to identify those suspected vehicles used for crime and those with no Tax, Insurance or MoT.

You will not register on this if you have tax, insurance etc.

The Police Car in a layby will not start chasing you.

It also flags up blocked, vehicles, unmarked cars which the details of can only be accessed by prior approval of a Police Officer of the rank of Inspector or above.

Unfortunately it is like a red rag to a bull for some traffic cops, who, if they are having a boring time, will pull you over to try and find out who you are and what you are doing.

This is not the best idea they have ever had.

The main Database, which has loads of access levels, is used for all sort of things, from planning new hospitals and schools.

That is a very low level of access.

It goes down much more detailed, to where prisoners are released to or suspected activity.

That is highly restricted and every visit is monitored.

Levels of access are strictly monitored.

The main data base does not even come up on a Google Search.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 11:35 PM

Re: Government Surveillance

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->

The Police Car in a layby will not start chasing you.
These days there is no police car in a layby. There are untold numbers of unregistered vehicles with no tax in this country. they have foreign number plates. We have not had the tech to trace them or ensure that their domestic insurance is valid.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:59 AM

I am not worried in the slightest about government surveillance, I am far more concerned about what Google knows about me.
Danny
Denver, CO
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I am not worried in the slightest about government surveillance, I am far more concerned about what Google knows about me.
I must be in the minority. I think if the government was watching me, I would be flattered they found me that interesting. As far as Google goes looking at my search history over the years would leave them scratching their heads in confusion. I tend to look up random crap all the time. Like why do we say it raining cats and dogs, where did the sagging pants thing come from(that one drives me crazy).
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 02:08 PM

Not bothered by any of it, I use double thickness aluminium foil. I haven’t heard any voices for ages….and btw, and I blame Brexit and the guvvermunt the lack of decent conspiracy theories on here is shocking, the aliens are not getting much exposure..other than the lot from France that is .
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
These days there is no police car in a layby. There are untold numbers of unregistered vehicles with no tax in this country. they have foreign number plates. We have not had the tech to trace them or ensure that their domestic insurance is valid.
Assuming that the foreign country from which they come will probably refuse to let us have that information - notably the EU countries - the next best step would be to insist that any driver entering this country must show not only their driving licence, but also a certificate of insurance.

Although these would not be a foolproof guarantee of validity of insurance (it could have ceased), but it would provide some useful information that could help in tracing them if necessary.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Danny ->
I must be in the minority. I think if the government was watching me, I would be flattered they found me that interesting. As far as Google goes looking at my search history over the years would leave them scratching their heads in confusion. I tend to look up random crap all the time. Like why do we say it raining cats and dogs, where did the sagging pants thing come from(that one drives me crazy).
I feel the same way.
It really wouldn't bother me who is watching me, at least if that 'who' is a person in authority. I wouldn't include criminals for example!
No. I have nothing to hide.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Assuming that the foreign country from which they come will probably refuse to let us have that information - notably the EU countries - the next best step would be to insist that any driver entering this country must show not only their driving licence, but also a certificate of insurance.

Although these would not be a foolproof guarantee of validity of insurance (it could have ceased), but it would provide some useful information that could help in tracing them if necessary.
I don't know if it's still the same but, when we lived in Italy, every vehicle had to display valid tax and insurance documents on the windscreen as in the attachment below.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	16181  
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2021, 11:02 AM

I don't really care to be honest, I just get on with my life.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top