Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:12 PM

Re: Batley and Spen by-election

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Quelle bon mot! Far more descriptive than my 'Abbopotamus'.

Yes. I fear there has been some negative change over the past years in that voting age has been reduced from 21 to 18. We now see that the Labour party and the Fish Woman are hoping to reduce that further still, and I assume that their intentions are to obtain votes from the naive young who are so easily persuaded by their lefty teachers to lean toward their own particular politics.

(There is also the question of postal voting which, I believe, is being abused by certain people, but that's for another thread.)

Personally, I believe that there is a strong case for raising the voting age back to 21, or possibly even older. I think it is important that those people who have the power to vote for our leaders should have sufficient experience of life and, of course, politics before they qualify for that right.

I wonder how many more people (if any) agree with me on that point.
Impossible not to agree.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Oh, l didn't know that !
There must be a lot of jocks in that area then?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
I think it was the muslim votes he was targeting.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:49 PM

Barely a 43% turnout, it's been said so hardly an overwhelming victory as Kneeler Starmer and the Abbotpottamus are claiming.

Hardly surprising as they were touting the Palestine argument instead of local issues. Apparently, Labour hacks were going round removing opposition posters from telephone poles and the like. A definite criminal offence if proven.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2021, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Barely a 43% turnout, it's been said so hardly an overwhelming victory as Kneeler Starmer and the Abbotpottamus are claiming.

Hardly surprising as they were touting the Palestine argument instead of local issues. Apparently, Labour hacks were going round removing opposition posters from telephone poles and the like. A definite criminal offence if proven.
I believe the consituency has a 19-20% Asian population.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Wow, what a surprise - well, not really. The Labour candidate (the late Jo Cox's sister) won yesterday's by-election by a 323 votes majority over the Conservative candidate in 2nd place. Considering that the Labour majority in the 2019 GE was something like 3200, I suggest Sir Kneelalot has some very serious thinking to do.

On the Today show on R4 this morning they were interviewing Dianne Abbottamus about this and she said this was a GREAT victory! O M G, is that woman deluded or not? Since when has a fall of ~90% in your majority ever counted as a GREAT victory?
There's such a lot of political spin being put on this result.

I think that, the fact is, that Jo Cox's sister was always going to win, and would have done so whichever party she was in.

Sympathy is hard to beat!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I believe the constituency has a 19-20% Asian population.
Probably increased by another 1% since the time you posted that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->

I suspect that the 43% turnout could be explained by the fact that the area is a traditional Labour stronghold (or at least has been for a very long time) and those hoping for a change may have 'given up' on the assumption that the area will never change.

The sad thing is that if the other 57% were dissatisfied with Labour's traditional hold on the area, they could so easily have done something about it!

Apathy will be the destruction of this country and the apathetic will end up having to live with it.

People are rather stupid.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Xandra ->
But wasn't the fly in the ointment George Galloway who creamed off 8000+ likely Labour votes?
Galloway is also a very strong Brexit supporter so, it's likely that he took a number of Tory votes too.

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I think it was the Muslim votes he was targeting.
That's been widely reported. Even the boss Imam for the area on the news last night saying as much.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 09:50 AM

Labour only won because the greens didn't field a candidate.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 11:03 AM

I am in Batley & Spen and there was a lot of opposition for Kim to get in, I was surprised she got in as she has barely any political experience and she came to the forefront on the back of her Sisters death, I was sorry for her losing her sister but should we give the sympathy vote, I suspect a lot of votes came from the back of sympathy for her.

I would have preferred someone to represent my town who is clued up on politics, there is an asian bloke called Afak Bhutt and he has done a tremendous amount for Heckmondwike which is local to us, I would have liked to have voted for someone like him.

Our last Batley and Spen leader was a crock of chit, all she was interested in was getting her photograph taken and being in the papers/media. She did nothing for Batley and Spen that I can recall, then she gets made mayor of Kirklees? What the heck??

I will just hope that Kim is good for our town, time will tell, I might have to eat my words.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top