Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:11 PM

Re: Why do we judge

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Correct d00d, sometimes referred to as a colliery.
Villages sprung up around them and the communities were very close knit. Everybody knew everybody else, and people very rarely left the village to go on holiday or to work elsewhere. I didn't work down the pit, but started as an apprentice mechanical engineer and indirectly made stuff for the pit. There were only two types of people; Those who worked, and those who didn't. Those who didn't were mostly rogues and wrong'uns.

Thanks for saving me the trouble, as usual.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:12 PM

To work or not to work, that is the question.
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2021, 10:34 PM

I'm not interested in what other people's job is and would never ask them and hope no one would ask me, simply because it's not relevant neither was in the past nor is now as a retiree. No such luck. It often is a conversation opener when meeting someone for the first time, especially in real life but less so on online forums which I like.

The reason why some people would be interested in other people's jobs is that they may want to find out how entertaining a conversation may be or, in some cases , if they could benefit from the skills a person used to have. It's often those who love and define themselves through their job who tend to ask other people about theirs and then keep talking about their own job assuming that it would interest others. It's often these very people who can't cope with retirement and the loss of status accompanying it. They find it hard to face up to the fact that they are sliding into irrelevance.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

25-07-2021, 10:36 PM

It is better to walk, than slide, probably.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
People by the jobs they do..?, I’m sure we’ve all met someone at a social gathering and inevitably the conversation comes round to “ and what do you do” ?
Does the answer then determine how we treat them, if they said , “ I’m a nuclear physicist “ would this mean they’d be treated differently than if they said “ I’m a fast food worker “ if so, why, either one could be a nasty piece of work, as either could be the nicest person on the planet, so why do we judge on a persons profession..?

Some do, I certainly don’t ,we are all equal as human beings,in society it’s a different matter I’m afraid, we are judged by some for our job role, i was a cleaner for quite a number of yrs, treated quite badly by a few,
We all have a role to play in life, mine was cleaning, cooking, caring, if anyone tries to make you feel inferior because of your job title, you can’t really blame them, because you are allowing it, took me a long time to understand that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Some do, I certainly don’t ,we are all equal as human beings,in society it’s a different matter I’m afraid, we are judged by some for our job role, i was a cleaner for quite a number of yrs, treated quite badly by a few,
We all have a role to play in life, mine was cleaning, cooking, caring, if anyone tries to make you feel inferior because of your job title, you can’t really blame them, because you are allowing it, took me a long time to understand that.
It's just that some think they are more equal than anybody else pauline...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It's just that some think they are more equal than anybody else pauline...
I know, don’t worry I soon put them in their place....obviously some are far more intelligent or educated than I.

But when it comes to being equal as a human being, that’s a different matter, again not all of society see it that way.

But I do. once you know you are equal as a human being it’s a real freedom...of course not all see it that way.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I believe some people like to know what others do for a living because it is a perceived way of establishing superiority or inferiority. To many a person's occupation is a way of calculating status and initially estimating where people fit into society, at least until they get to know them better. We tend to judge what people wear in a similar way, where they live and what car they drive - status. In the animal world bums, noses are sniffed and note is taken of size, condition, etc., pretty primitive stuff really, I think. In humans it is more subtle and sophisticated.
Not in my case
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 09:58 PM

I have always believed that all jobs are important (apart from traffic wardens obviously). Everyone does their bit towards our day to day living. I also believe that (within reason) you can be whatever you want to be depending on how much effort you re willing to put in. I would never feel intimidated chatting to a doctor or a lawyer because I know that I could have done that, if I had chosen that path.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not in my case
Honest

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top