Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 12:59 PM

I need a new CH boiler

I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 01:05 PM

Re: I need a new CH boiler

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I need a new Hot Water/Central Heating boiler. I currently have a Worcester Bosch gas combi, 15 years old now leaking. I like it or used to like it, would buy another Worcester Bosch but is gas CH the way to go? Wasn't there talk recently, following Greta's actions, of phasing out gas boilers, going electric or some other tech?

What would you do?
I'd sign up to a service contract and pay the extra hit to get it fixed. It should last for a few years yet.

As for electric boilers, you need to take into account the cost of running them as gas is still cheaper. They are only really worthwhile in new buildings which have a considerable amount of insulation. So, for the time being, get your old boiler fixed and spend as much as possible insulating your house (don't forget the different types of glass which are far more thermally efficient)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 01:07 PM

What would you do?
My Baxi Boiler is on it's last legs (not 10 years yet!) and I am waiting for some follow ups for after the lockdown.

One thing I have noted, however, is the price of boilers at (e.g.) Screwfix type stores.

Assuming that I have good, cleaned out system, I reckon to buy a boiler for, around, 5-600 squids.

After that there's a day's work, installing/setting up for the fitter/plumber.

That's way below the 2,500, sort of, average to have the whole job done as a package!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
That's way below the 2,500, sort of, average to have the whole job done as a package!
The package will include contingencies for many other aspects, including cleaning the system, new flue, possible new and different sized pipes, cleaning the system, indeminity insurances etc etc etc.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 01:30 PM

We're already systematically replacing gas heated hot water radiators with electric storage equivalents, initially in our spare rooms but with the intention to have the whole house electrically heated by mid next year.

The running cost will be a little higher but with differential billing not horrendously so.

Anyway it's the right thing to do.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

24-04-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
We're already systematically replacing gas heated hot water radiators with electric storage equivalents, initially in our spare rooms but with the intention to have the whole house electrically heated by mid next year.

The running cost will be a little higher but with differential billing not horrendously so.

Anyway it's the right thing to do.
Agree. When upgrading to an electric system, it's important to consider not only the cost of the installation but also the running cost. Although "the right thing to do", one has to think about whether one will ever reap the financial rewards for doing so

As for hot water to taps, IMHO localised electric water heaters are a better option than a single point of heat source running the whole house. Less wastage, unlikley that you'll ever be entirely without hot water (subject to no power cuts, which would prevent many a gas boiler from functioning too!), cheaper to replace/upgrade etc etc.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 03:29 PM

What would you do?
Over the last 15 years, boiler technology will have advanced so, in answer to your question, I'd buy a new one.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

24-04-2020, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Over the last 15 years, boiler technology will have advanced so, in answer to your question, I'd buy a new one.
Not much. The main development would be in condensor boilers which are more efficient. Not sure what model the op has.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the input guys, all food for thought.

I guess the kind of big picture I was hoping to see was this ...

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...carbon-systems

which is a year old and possibly blx anyway, but an indication of the urgency of the climate emergency.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
My Baxi Boiler is on it's last legs (not 10 years yet!) and I am waiting for some follow ups for after the lockdown.

One thing I have noted, however, is the price of boilers at (e.g.) Screwfix type stores.

Assuming that I have good, cleaned out system, I reckon to buy a boiler for, around, 5-600 squids.

After that there's a day's work, installing/setting up for the fitter/plumber.

Sod Screwfix and the like. Phone around various plumbing suppliers for quotes and when you find one you like offer to buy it at 20% less and there's a chance they'll accept or at least offer a lower price especially now.

As for £600 for a boiler, personally I wouldn't go for the cheapest.

Worth trying a deal with your preferred plumber too. They can often get a lower price than even the cheekiest Joe Public.

Remember NEVER just pay the first asking price without a try-on other than in supermarkets and the like.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top