Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 07:18 AM

Snails

For some time I've been toying with the idea of trying snails. I'm aware of the purging process involved before actually cooking them and I'm thinking of going out for a forage in the near future.

I think this is pretty much a case of mind over matter and just summoning up the courage to give it a go.
Anybody tried them....tasty?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 07:43 AM

Re: Snails

Sorry Westerner...never tried them...never will. Good luck though
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:38 AM

I've had them, just a couple, in Portugal, you've got to try everything once, washed down with Super Bock. Caracois they call them, tasted of olive oil, garlic, herbs. Nice bread to mop up.

Westender ... wait till you go on hols abroad, go to a place where everyone's at it. It's not the sort of thing to try at home. They are feed on pure stuff for days before they're cooked.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:40 AM

Not sure you eat just any snails - don't they have to be a certain type? When I was in Paris someone gave me some 'escargot' to try - absolutely revolting!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:53 AM

I may be wrong but I think the French escargot are bigger.

Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I've had them, just a couple, in Portugal, you've got to try everything once, washed down with Super Bock. Caracois they call them, tasted of olive oil, garlic, herbs. Nice bread to mop up.

Westender ... wait till you go on hols abroad, go to a place where everyone's at it. It's not the sort of thing to try at home. They are feed on pure stuff for days before they're cooked.
Any holiday's abroad are not an option for the foreseeable future d00d. It's not just the current situation, personal circumstances come into it too.
My son who's on the autistic spectrum would find it hard to deal with the situation, at least at this point in time.
We're both happy to potter around in our own temperate climate The thought of using oil instead of butter though is very appealing I have to say!

The same principles apply in the the UK as Portugal for preparing the little critters. Load's of info online of course of those that feel inclined.

Silver Tabby - common garden snails are just fine.
I just won't be collecting any where pellets might have been used.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 10:50 AM

My knowledge of Escargot is that if you want to cook them yourself get some advice from a French chef or cookbook first. Like mushrooms etc you need the right kind. Usually they are done in butter and garlic with herbs. I have had them many time but funnily enough never in France. I personally love them. Totally delish.
Arena
France
Arena is male  Arena has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 10:52 AM

Myth: The French eat snails.Probably as often as the English eat whelks.

Snails need to be served in a strong sauce otherwise they are tastless.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Not sure you eat just any snails - don't they have to be a certain type? When I was in Paris someone gave me some 'escargot' to try - absolutely revolting!

That's what I thought to.
I have never heard of anyone eating garden snails, and what if the snails themselves have eaten slug pellets or any other garden chemicals?

In fact, just found this:

" Not all species of land snail are edible, and many are too small to make it worthwhile to prepare and cook them. Even among the edible species, the palatability of the flesh varies from species to species. In France, the species Helix pomatia is most often eaten."

I must say though, how anyone could put such a thing in their mouth is beyond me. Aaghh.

Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 12:07 PM

I had some years ago, quite nice but really just taste of the garlic sauce.

Snail farming is a booming business in the UK

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/news/s...tryside-205772

https://dorsetsnails.co.uk/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top