Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 10:51 AM

No TV signal

My sister, who moved to Lowestoft before me, couldn't get a tv signal through her aeriel, so is using a Sky box.

When I moved here, to the rental, there was a booster box fitted to the Sky dish - I think - and I connected my Sky box to that and continued with my subscription.

When I viewed this house, I asked the residents if they had any problems with tv reception and they said, no, it was fine. I even took a peek at the back of their tv in the front room and couldn't see any booster or filter fitted, so presumed all would be fine when I moved in.

However, that wasn't the case. I have two tv sets, and a tv tuner card in my PC. All show 'no signal' when trying to tune in the Digital tuner. I had Sky call out to fit a new dish (the existing one having been disconnected) the day after I moved so I could continue with their service and it is the only way I can watch any tv at the moment.

I bought a booster from Homebase recently but do not have the appropriate cables and anyway, I have read that they are not to be used for 'no signal', rather for weak or pixellating ones.

So I did a bit more Googling and thought, could there be 4G interference and a website did show that cards had been distributed to my area, but that not all houses would be affected anyway. In the interim, during lockdown, I have just ordered a 4G filter from Amazon, for £8.16, so not a great monetary loss if that is not the fault. This should arrive tomorrow.

So, do any of you have any ideas, please? I am using both their aeriel cables and my own. There are two aeriels fitted to this house. One feeds the back bedroom and the other feeds the front bedroom and the lounge. I can't get a signal from either of them!!

I am eager to get a tv set up in the back room so I can watch while in the kitchen, or sitting at my dining table, or even to have one in the front bedroom. I even asked a neighbour if their tv signal was ok and they said the previous owners here had no problem.

Thanks in advance.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 12:28 PM

Re: No TV signal

Can you get yourself a cheap indoor aerial to at least see if one of your TVs work? If it does, there could be a connection problem between the existing aerial and the TV socket.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 01:29 PM

I tried that in the rental actually, and took it back for a refund. But as stated, there are two aerials fitted to the house.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 02:05 PM

Is there a loft? Usually, TV boosters are fitted up there between the aerials and the connection sockets in the rooms. If that's the case, it could simply mean that the power supply to the booster has been turned off or that the previous owners have taken it. I find it surprising that their TVs worked before you moved in so there must be a simple explanation. Sometimes, the booster are inside a cupboard - just have a quick look around.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

30-05-2020, 03:08 PM

Just a thought. Did you try retuning your TVs? Because of your change of location, sometimes you have to retune them because of the TV channels being on a separate transmitter.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

30-05-2020, 03:34 PM

I don't like the thought of going into the loft on my own. I was waiting for lock down to end and when handy men or engineers were allowed to enter properties, to go down this route

And yes, tried retuning all sets. I watched progress bar on the computer go all the way along before stating no channels could be found.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 05:20 PM

Switching off something like a TV distribution unit in the loft (or elsewhere in the house) might seem the best thing to do for somebody moving out. I think I'd do the same. As said, it might just want turning back on somewhere. Are you able to get in touch with the previous owners to ask them about it?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 05:59 PM

I would re tune as judd says, I have to retune loads of TVs in the nursing home and they haven’t been moved in some cases
It usually works so try this first
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2020, 06:01 PM

Just seen your previous post jazzi, when you retuned did you select dtv and not analogue
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

30-05-2020, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Just seen your previous post jazzi, when you retuned did you select dtv and not analogue
Yes Primus.

The previous owners assured me they had good tv signal. I might text the lady and ask her, but she sometimes takes awhile to respond.

As far as they were aware, I was moving in after getting the keys, so I don't see why they would turn off any boosters. I'll text her now, see what she says. (Though I didn't move in for several weeks due to lockdown and having decorator in.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top