Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:04 AM

Sound bar.

On a lot of TV programmes and some DVD's I can't hear the sound properly. I mean - it's loud enough but I can't catch the words that are said.

It's got to the stage that I don't watch anything if it doesn't have sub titles.

I've been wondering about getting a sound bar but don't want to waste my money if they don't work.

Has anybody got one?

The strange thing is - Tony has a collection of old cowboy films circa 1950's on DVD & I can tell the words alright on them!!!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Re: Sound bar.

I've got one Carol and it does make the sound clearer not as muffled as the sound just from the TV.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:20 AM

That's brilliant summer. Thank you.

I know some are cheaper than others but I was hoping not to pay a fortune for one. I've been looking on Amazon & see quite a few in the £60 - £80 range.

Would they be any good at that price do you think?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:28 AM

I'm not sure what price ours was Carol I'll check with hubby and get back to you
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
On a lot of TV programmes and some DVD's I can't hear the sound properly. I mean - it's loud enough but I can't catch the words that are said.

It's got to the stage that I don't watch anything if it doesn't have sub titles.

I've been wondering about getting a sound bar but don't want to waste my money if they don't work.
Before you buy a soundbar try adjusting the TV sound settings (if you haven't already):

How to improve your TV’s sound

https://www.freeview.co.uk/blogs/improve-your-tvs-sound

The slimming down of HD TVs has generally been a good thing, with them taking up less space. The downside is that there’s also less space for speakers. As a result, sound quality has taken a hit in many cases (not helped by the mumbly soundtracks on many TV dramas).

If you’re struggling to hear what’s going on and your TV’s not delivering the audio power you want, we’re here to help. We’ll show you how to improve and control your TV’s sound settings to maximize audio quality.

Dive into your TV’s settings menus and you’ll find a host of settings outside of the standard volume control. The exact options differ between manufacturers and TV models, with more expensive, higher-end tellies typically having more parameters. You may need to refer to your TV’s manual for the exact options, but this will serve as a good general guide.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 08:33 AM

Has anybody got one?

The strange thing is - Tony has a collection of old cowboy films circa 1950's on DVD & I can tell the words alright on them!!!
Yes. It's same for me with sound. Not good.

Hearing is defective. I was going to fix that but that fixed right out of the Covid.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 09:45 AM

Some TVs manage to give better sound than others using their own speakers but generally, the sound quality is not good. It will be better using a sound bar.

We have quite a few televisions. I put a surround-sound system on the main one but the others have sound bars (supplied by JBL). All give better sound than the TVs original speakers. Not surprising when you think how physically flat the TV speakers must be ..and no real sound enclosures.

For convenience of use, look out for sound bars where volume goes up and down using the TV remote control and that turn on and off using the TV remote control (saves using yet another remote control). Ask if it does that or look out for the term 'ARC' which stands for 'audio return channel'. They need to plug into the TV using an HDMI lead.

Edit: The HDMI socket on the TV where a sound bar might be plugged in is usually labelled 'HDMI (ARC). If it isn't, look up the specs. of the TV to make sure it has the ARC function.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 11:13 AM

We payed about £100 for our sound bar for a Panasonic telly they both matched up and yes the quality of sound was far better by a mile, so if you have problems with the sound on your box invest in a sound bar it really does improve the quality even for this deaf old bugger
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 12:16 PM

I have a soundbar in my camper but in my house my TV sound goes through my Yamaha amp, in fact if the amp is not on you can't turn on the TV.

The great thing about the amplifier is that it can not only source the TV but also my video server, radio, DVD player as well as Netflix etc. the sound comes through 5 proper hifi speakers in 5.1 Surround sound.

I can control it from a tablet or computer too

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	13008  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2020, 02:17 PM

Has anybody got one?

A lot of this problem can be accounted for by poor recording and modern acting methods.

Try watching one or two old B&W films on the Talking Pictures channel and the chances are that you'll hear every word absolutely clearly.

The actors of years gone by were trained and gained their experience on the stage, where they learnt how to project their voices. Most don't have to do that now and I believe that skill has been lost by most.

To make matters worse, modern film makers seem to like to include loud music throughout all scenes (for some reason) which also often drowns out what dialogue they have managed to include.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top