Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:29 PM

Re: workshop messing about

Went to Burton on Trent today, picked up a Ryobi Paddle Mixer, ready to mix some floor levelling compound, £25.00 well spent.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Went to Burton on Trent today, picked up a Ryobi Paddle Mixer, ready to mix some floor levelling compound, £25.00 well spent.
you could have saved the effort, all you need is a bucket and bare feet. may not mix as well but the feeling of floor levelling compound between the toes is something else.. Not much help am I
I actully use that at the kennels in the isolation and grooming rooms , sorted out the rough concrete
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:50 PM

The flow and setting time of the levelling compound is critical, so, assuming I will be working alone, a second or third batch needs preparing quickly, I'll test the barefoot theory when the job is done.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
The drag types do horrible things to an edge.

A steel is good but needs a degree of skill to use.
I use an oilstone, they make for a razor sharp knife and with a special gadget, to get the right angle, also sharpen chisels and planes really well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:58 PM

Spittie

check you floor levels first if I may suggest can save a lot of problems later on. even though it levels it will still run to the lowest floor part first. So you may end up with a thick layer one end and a thin level the other which will just break away. Been there done it and it happened.

If possible mark to walls with a chalk line or something and get those lines level before anything else then you have something to work to and know the depth/thickness of the compound
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 10:10 PM

I just lean on the bench and think about what shall I do. Then I go and make a coffee and sit at this damn thing!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-06-2020, 10:10 PM

Hi RS

When fitting the plasterboard, it became apparent that although the floor area is only 4 square meters, it has a fall of about 8mm, high to low. As I am going to tile the floor, the level is less important than high and low spots that can cause problems with a uniform depth of tile adhesive.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

27-06-2020, 10:13 PM

Good luck with the project, make sure you have everthing you need to hand before you start ie spare bucket of water etc
I actually built a side flank extn to a 3 bed semi I had.
The idea was to build it onto the back of the garage which was joined with the house. What a project that was. 9ft x 18ft with a fire check door into the garage and a stable door to the outside.
This involved taking down the kitchen chimney- moving the back door so it went into the new extn and replacing the space where the door was with a window. this also stopped a through draught from the front door down the hall into the kitchen

so this is how it went
first getting plans passed. moving back door as mentioned. Digging a metre deep trench 6 inches wider than the breeze block new walls . Cutting earthenware underground waste pipes and re positioning. Mixing concrete for the fondations-building the walls . floor damp proof membrain and laying the floor . Roof joist with furlings for slope having roof professionally sealed with tar etc. every stage had to be passed by the building inspector

That is just a brief outline but I did 98% myself ,apart from the roof and gas fire installation that is.

So I have some idea of what you are tackling and good for you having a go
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-06-2020, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I just lean on the bench and think about what shall I do. Then I go and make a coffee and sit at this damn thing!
Respect Ciderman, all that draw space, that is forward thinking in action.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

27-06-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Good luck with the project, make sure you have everthing you need to hand before you start ie spare bucket of water etc
It will probably go tits up RS, and I will get annoyed, but, it won't stop me.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top