Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 12:29 AM

Re: Does anyone eat much Red Meat These Days!

very seldom eat red meat...usually chicken or salmon....I don't like salmon ...but I cook it for hubby...we sometimes have steak minced....maybe once a fortnight...like a stirfry quite often...funny how your taste for food changes, years ago I was stews and roast beef...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 03:28 AM

There is something seriously wrong if I don't eat red meat each day.
MarciKS
Kansas USA
MarciKS is female  MarciKS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 04:52 AM

I mostly eat chicken & hamburger.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Hi

Both Guy and I like our steaks and a roast.

It helps if you live within walking distance of a huge slaughterhouse and meat packers.

Lamb is very expensive however.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 06:56 AM

I eat a steak about once a week .
Occasionally I make a cottage pie.
I buy mince once a week for the dog .In winter I cook stews
Very occasionally I cook a leg of lamb

I don’t eat pork in any form .
This is because I love pigs and these intelligent animals break my heart .
They are so often treated badly and they know their fate .
Ham is terribly bad for you anyway it’s full of nitrates .

Actually I love all animals and am most concerned that they are humanely slaughtered ,

I don’t really like to eat chicken anymore either .
Goodness only knows what chicken are injected with .

We tend to eat quite a lot of fish

I am slowily edging to being a vegetarian .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
My dealer gives me a good deal on Polish pork.

blx to British Farmers. I know where to find better.
I would never touch pork but especially anything that came out of Poland where they are notoriously cruel in their methods of slaughter .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
N.: I'm a bit of a 'Jack Sprat' so I don't eat fat.....
That's us too OGF. Don't do fat at all. I even cut the fat off the bacon before grilling it. Luckily my local butcher knows what a fussy ol' cow (excuse the pun) I am, and always gives me the leanest cuts.

I must admit, the last time I recall actually eating a proper cut of red meat has to be almost 6 months ago when we had 2 Rib Eye steaks.
I'd also forgotten that about a month ago, we had a steak & onion Pukka Pie, (which was really nice).

No, I'm afraid that apart from minced beef, I will continue to eat only white meat until the price of Lamb and Beef come down. It's no wonder British farmers are complaining about the threat of cheaper imports after Brexit when they are getting sky-high prices such as they are doing at the moment. It's very unfair that home consumers cannot be charged much cheaper prices though. How are we supposed to support them when it is priced far beyond most pockets?

I look at lots of recently contributed recipes from all over the world that contain 6 - 8 lamb chops or same amount of sliced topside of beef and I think....how on earth can they afford that?? especially when I look at the prices we have to pay!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Haven't eaten red meat for ages. Beef & lamb is too expensive & I hate cooking anyway. I live on eggs, bacon, sausages, chicken, ham & other cooked meats.

The last beef joint I bought was the Christmas meal & that cost me £27.
OMG Tiffany, I have never paid that much for a joint of beef in my life! I now remind myself of how like my lovely late dad used to be. When we used to take him out for a meal at a local restaurant he would always make a point of looking at the prices on the menu and would grumble about how many decent meals he could make for himself for the whole week with the cost of one steak in the restaurant! We always used to laugh about it, but now I find I am slowly turning into him and his view about the cost!!!!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I would never touch pork but especially anything that came out of Poland where they are notoriously cruel in their methods of slaughter .
I've never heard that before, surely they are up to EU standards (?) Maybe they have a bad reputation based on some traditional methods .... things like I've seen in Portugal many years ago pre EU, where killing a pig is a ritual for the whole village to witness.

Pork is my favourite meat, and like you, I am fond of pigs (when still alive). But the pork sold in UK supermarkets and yer average high street butcher is not good enough, the meat is too pale and dry. I do know butchers that provide something other ... the Gloucester Old Spot being a favourite. I don't know anything about Polish breeds but Mleczko Delikatesy in London sell the good stuff.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2020, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Haven't eaten red meat for ages. Beef & lamb is too expensive & I hate cooking anyway. I live on eggs, bacon, sausages, chicken, ham & other cooked meats.

The last beef joint I bought was the Christmas meal & that cost me £27.
I've seen rib of beef (3 or 4 ribs) on sale at xmastime for that sort of money. OTT

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top