Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 11:20 AM

5Ghz WiFi versus ordinary WiFi!

I just did a bit of research, to find out which I should be using, as I took it for granted that my Netgear Router would work better with 5Ghz WiFi than it would with the normal 2.4 Ghz WiFi.

I was surprised to be told that the lower speed one (2,4) is better at "getting through walls" and covers a larger area than 5Ghz WiFi.

The 5Ghz WiFi, apparently, has shorter connection time but covers a smaller area.

That would appear to mean that your chances of connecting to a far away room would be better with "ordinary" WiFi

Anyone have experience of these differences?

https://www.howtogeek.com/398620/wha...nd-5ghz-wi-fi/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 02:22 PM

Re: 5Ghz WiFi versus ordinary WiFi!

My router is also dual-band. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 2.4Ghz is for `legacy` devices that can't connect to the new 5Ghz standard. Everything in my house except for my mobile phone connect to the 2.4Ghz frequency.

I suppose, if it were important for you, you could buy a Wi-Fi extender?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 02:41 PM

This is all very techie ... but interesting.
I'm just happy if my hub glows blue at me.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
This is all very techie ... but interesting.
I'm just happy if my hub glows blue at me.
Is that a euphemism?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 02:44 PM

What or who is Yootha?
Surely not blue? Except maybe on a bitter day in winter.

Bad me, I must behave and not ruin this thread.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My router is also dual-band. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The 2.4Ghz is for `legacy` devices that can't connect to the new 5Ghz standard. Everything in my house except for my mobile phone connect to the 2.4Ghz frequency.

I suppose, if it were important for you, you could buy a Wi-Fi extender?
Just done a test and can reach the far corner of the house (WiFi wise) on 2.4 but 5Ghz doesn't get there.

Not a massive problem as my Smart TV is what runs there and moving a TPlink ethernet adapter has sorted that.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2020, 11:10 PM

5ghz wifi is extremely good if the 5ghz wifi router and wifi device (mobile phone, ipad, laptop) are in the same room but as soon as you go out of the room where the router is, the signal quality is rubbish because experts have found that the 5ghz signal has trouble penetrating walls.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2020, 09:29 AM

My wireless routers have 5Ghz WiFi, my laptop and phone connect to this and the speed difference is amazing.

They transmit and receive at the same speed as my wired computer whereas devices that connect to 2.4Ghz get a max of 40 down and 35 up (Mbps). BTW I pay for 100/40 Mbps

If you have 5Ghz definitely use it, it is great.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

27-01-2020, 02:50 PM

My Netgear Router chooses the best at the time of looking. and hooks up to it.

So I might look in and find it was using 5Ghz and then look in later and it would be using 2.4.

Playing with the WiFian app, and making sure that my devices are capable of automatic hook up to whatever has sorted that.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top