Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Re: Lilac Breasted Roller

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Nice one Nom - where did you spot them?
The first i saw was near Sunderland, i had just got the internet, and came home from work to find a report on birdguides. So off i went laden with gear in the hope of seeing it.

Saw some birders so asked for directions, about a mile up a lane. Off i went and on arrival a load of birders around, no hurry mate said one its been here 3 weeks. The farmer thought it was an escaped parrot.

The important one was a Northumberland bird at Beal near Holy Island, i was cool about it, not rushing to see it. But a few days later i planned a trip up to Lindisfarne.

This was only the second record for the county, the first in 1958, i do wonder how many saw that bird, pre phones, pagers, cars, and the internet.

However i stopped off at Beal and in a private field with no public access i found the bird in a tree.

Quickly set up the scope and jammed the compact against the eyepiece and got a record shot at about 150 yards.

Cant compete with Grahams photo, but i was pleased to capture an image. As i was standing a bus trip of birders from Scotland turned up and all saw the bird.

I later met them on the island, where we saw American Golden Plover, Red Breasted Flycatcher, Great Grey Shrike, Yellow-Browed and Barred Warbler, a dam fine days birding.

Poor image here.http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...php?i=20955&c=
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:29 PM

How beautiful never seen one before..
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
The first i saw was near Sunderland, i had just got the internet, and came home from work to find a report on birdguides. So off i went laden with gear in the hope of seeing it.

Saw some birders so asked for directions, about a mile up a lane. Off i went and on arrival a load of birders around, no hurry mate said one its been here 3 weeks. The farmer thought it was an escaped parrot.

The important one was a Northumberland bird at Beal near Holy Island, i was cool about it, not rushing to see it. But a few days later i planned a trip up to Lindisfarne.

This was only the second record for the county, the first in 1958, i do wonder how many saw that bird, pre phones, pagers, cars, and the internet.

However i stopped off at Beal and in a private field with no public access i found the bird in a tree.

Quickly set up the scope and jammed the compact against the eyepiece and got a record shot at about 150 yards.

Cant compete with Grahams photo, but i was pleased to capture an image. As i was standing a bus trip of birders from Scotland turned up and all saw the bird.

I later met them on the island, where we saw American Golden Plover, Red Breasted Flycatcher, Great Grey Shrike, Yellow-Browed and Barred Warbler, a dam fine days birding.

Poor image here.http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/ga...php?i=20955&c=
Nom, that is a brilliant account of how you found the bird and I thank you for it. It is people like yourself that motivates others to go get of your backside and go find something. So many species that I can only dream of seeing. I'll have to get off of mine and travel up North to find more species.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Nom, that is a brilliant account of how you found the bird and I thank you for it. It is people like yourself that motivates others to go get of your backside and go find something. So many species that I can only dream of seeing. I'll have to get off of mine and travel up North to find more species.
I have an advantage of living near the East coast, but we need the right kind of weather.

A potential superstorm is brewing this weekend with 2 weather fronts about to collide up North, may well result i some interesting birds.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 10:52 PM

Gorgeous bird. They have been seen in the UK, but very rarely. Think the last time was 2011 in the Cambridge area. Mega tick for whoever spotted that bird.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2016, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
How beautiful never seen one before..

I thought the same Meg. I've never heard of these birds before, they're beautiful, aren't they, such lovely colours.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

28-09-2016, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Gorgeous bird. They have been seen in the UK, but very rarely. Think the last time was 2011 in the Cambridge area. Mega tick for whoever spotted that bird.
I am assuming you mean the European roller Tiffany, no record of the Lilac on the British list, unless it was an escape.

Unless you know different, or its a record pending.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2016, 05:04 AM

On the same subject here's some Tartan Skirted Rollers:

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2016, 06:31 AM

What a beautiful little bird, Graham, great photos as well.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I am assuming you mean the European roller Tiffany, no record of the Lilac on the British list, unless it was an escape.

Unless you know different, or its a record pending.
Yes, European, Nom. I should have said in my post.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top