Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:13 AM

Re: Liberation of Auschwitz

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I do because there are plenty of people in Germany with the same views as their grandparents. Many decades of re-education have led to a resurgence in the same right-wing ideology.
I haven't been to Germany for many years. Since before reunification. It is almost unbelievable that there actually are active nazi type organisations going on there and gaining power again. Although fascism and nazism based on race and authoritarianism is a very attractive ideology for a certain kind of mind (Usually male) that finds concepts like reason, equality, tolerance distasteful. I call them the "bookburners" . Similar elements in the Deep South of the United States and North Queensland here. They often don't have a real excuse so they make one up and/or find an easy victim or scapegoat. On the other hand they can arise as a reaction against weak or wet governments who go too far the other way and tolerate the intolerable for the sake of political correctness or to appease certain religions that are incompatible with the broader societal values or interest groups that are equally as intolerant and narrow minded.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
i haven't been to germany for many years. Since before reunification. It is almost unbelievable that there actually are active nazi type organisations going on there and gaining power again. Although fascism and nazism based on race and authoritarianism is a very attractive ideology for a certain kind of mind (usually male) that finds concepts like reason, equality, tolerance distasteful. I call them the "bookburners" . Similar elements in the deep south of the united states and north queensland here. They often don't have a real excuse so they make one up and/or find an easy victim or scapegoat. On the other hand they can arise as a reaction against weak or wet governments who go too far the other way and tolerate the intolerable for the sake of political correctness or to appease certain religions that are incompatible with the broader societal values or interest groups that are equally as intolerant and narrow minded.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 09:20 AM

My son told me of a video he watched of a Jewish man who's job it was to push the poor gentle innocent people into the gas chambers and clean up afterwards , he told of his work and said he was doing this to his own people but he had no choice it was him or them because if he refused it would be his turn .

I was horrified but son told me mum , it was kill.or be killed and given that choice yourself you would do it too . It's a horrible thought .

Keezoy , my son saw the shoes they are actually there in the camp .

Tears as I write this .
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
That brought tears to my eyes. It was a miracle they survived. I hope we & Germany in particular never forget what happened to the Jews in the war & learn from it..
It was a terrible happening, and it will never be forgotten. Forever in the annals of history . Have we learnt anything ? Move forward 75 yrs and I think not.
As susan m says, it was kill or be killed. Today we have the same from a point of view that if we enter into war, it is 'kill or be killed ' , so the world governments don't engage in some of most gruesome happenings of today, because the world is so fragile they all know how easily WWIII could erupt. Therefore those who suffer have no place in our world because they are out of sight and out of mind.... again !
So even worse now is that governments do know what is happening , it might not be gas chambers, but still death ,sexual slavery , torture and displacement of children .
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
It was a terrible happening, and it will never be forgotten. Forever in the annals of history . Have we learnt anything ? Move forward 75 yrs and I think not.
As susan m says, it was kill or be killed. Today we have the same from a point of view that if we enter into war, it is 'kill or be killed ' , so the world governments don't engage in some of most gruesome happenings of today, because the world is so fragile they all know how easily WWIII could erupt. Therefore those who suffer have no place in our world because they are out of sight and out of mind.... again !
So even worse now is that governments do know what is happening , it might not be gas chambers, but still death ,sexual slavery , torture and displacement of children .
Of course it will happen again. It already has in the case of the Pol Pot regime.

As for WW3 - There has been a world war under way for 1300 years that has been running continuously with only the occasional armistice taking place and isn't going to stop any time soon.

So it's not WW3 that's going to break out, that was the 39 - 45 thing. It's going to be a resurgence of WW1 that kicked off in the 700's.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Of course it will happen again. It already has in the case of the Pol Pot regime.

As for WW3 - There has been a world war under way for 1300 years that has been running continuously with only the occasional armistice taking place and isn't going to stop any time soon.

So it's not WW3 that's going to break out, that was the 39 - 45 thing. It's going to be a resurgence of WW1 that kicked off in the 700's.
Artful, I simply don't have an answer for the continuing clash of cultures. If we bring all the troops home then the fanatics only grow stronger and then attack us in our homeland. If we keep the troops in place then the head-in- the-sand leftists condemn us for being war mongers.
I fear that it is only a matter of time before there will be another 9/11 and/or a London tube attack. I believe that it will come from those immigrants who we have allowed to stay in our countries.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:38 PM

Humans are the most dangerous beings on the planet. Not only to the life here but to each other. We just kid ourselves if we think we are peaceful and kind.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:02 PM

I do because there are plenty of people in Germany with the same views as their grandparents. Many decades of re-education have led to a resurgence in the same right-wing ideology.
Annie, how much time have you spent working and living in Germany?

Or what do you base that astounding and VERY wrong claim on?

Because very wrong it certainly is.

As a Jew albeit secular if anyone should suspect that German people were festering a want to go down the same road as the Nazis did then I and people like me should be keeping a wary eye open and at first when I went to work there I did.

I very soon found out how wrong I was.

And I wasn't there for just a few days of in just a couple of locations.

What with several secondments to my employers research facilities and a twelve month sabbatical I would say that I'm in a position to totally reject your assertion.

That being said with the huge influx of immigrants who quite literally loath us as an article of their faith and utter contempt for our and German folks culture I'm not comfortable in major cities any more, not even sleepy old Goslar which used to be really nice in every way.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:53 PM

Leopards do not change their spots. Your subjective experience does not represent the whole picture.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

24-01-2020, 03:37 PM

Leopards do not change their spots. Your subjective experience does not represent the whole picture.
Words just fail me.

They really do.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top